EVENTS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
2023 WSSA Annual Conference (Symposia)
- The good, the bad, and the ugly – the current state of cover crops and weed management – Erin Haramoto, University of Kentucky and Steve Young, USDA-ARS (organizers)
- Crop weed management in a rising CO2 and warming world – Marty Williams, USDA-ARS (organizer)
- WSSA research priorities survey results: 13 federal agency-perspectives and -funding opportunities – Jim Kells, Michigan State University and Steve Young, USDA-ARS (organizers)
2022 WSSA-ARS Weed Science Webinar Series
All 10 webinars from the series were recorded and are now available free for viewing.
ARS Weed Science Positions
Check USAJobs.gov for more information or contact Steve Young.
- Invasive Plant Scientist/Ecologist – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Weed Geneticist – Pullman, WA
Select ARS Papers
Recently published by researchers in weed science.
- Amy DaSilva, Angelica M. Reddy, Paul D. Pratt, Marielle S. Hansel Friedman, Brenda J. Grewell, Nathan E. Harms, Ximena Cibils-Stewart, Guillermo Cabrera Walsh, Ana Faltlhauser, M. Lourdes Chamorro (2022) "Biology of Immature Stages and Host Range Characteristics of Sudauleutes bosqi (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), a Candidate Biological Control Agent of Exotic Ludwigia spp. in the USA," Florida Entomologist, 105(3), 243-249
- Patrick J. Moran, Rosemarie De Clerck-Floate, Martin P. Hill, S. Raghu, Quentin Paynter, John A. Goolsby, (2023) Chapter 6 - Mass-production of arthropods for biological control of weeds: a global perspective, Editor(s): Juan A. Morales-Ramos, M. Guadalupe Rojas, David I. Shapiro-Ilan, Mass Production of Beneficial Organisms (Second Edition), Academic Press. Pages 157-194
- Natalie M. West, John F. Gaskin, Joseph Milan & Tatyana A. Rand (2022) High genetic diversity in the landscape suggests frequent seedling recruitment by Euphorbia virgata Waldst. & Kit. (leafy spurge) in the northern U.S.A. Biol Invasions (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10530-022-02954-9
- Eliza I. Clark, Amanda R. Stahlke, John F. Gaskin, Dan W. Bean, Paul A. Hohenlohe, Ruth A. Hufbauer, Ellyn V. Bitume (2023) Fitness and host use remain stable in a biological control agent after many years of hybridization, Biological Control, Volume 177, 2023, 105102
- Lowry, C., Matlaga, D., West, Natalie, Williams, Martin, & Davis, A. (2022). Estimating local eradication costs for invasive Miscanthus populations throughout the eastern and midwestern United States. Invasive Plant Science and Management, 15(3), 115-121.
- McGranahan, D.A., Wonkka, Carissa L. (2022) Fuel Properties of Effective Greenstrips in Simulated Cheatgrass Fires. Environmental Management 70, 319–328 (2022).
- Joanna Bajsa-Hirschel, Pan Zhiqiang, Pandey Pankaj, Asolkar Ratnakar N., Chittiboyina Amar G., Boddy Louis, Machingura Marylou C., Duke Stephen O. (2023) Spliceostatin C, a component of a microbial bioherbicide, is a potent phytotoxin that inhibits the spliceosome. Frontiers in Plant Science 13
- Dobbs, A., Ginn, D., Skovsen, S., Bagavathiannan, M., Mirsky, Steven B., Reberg-Horton, C., & Leon, R. (2022). New directions in weed management and research using 3D imaging. Weed Science, 70(6), 641-647.
- Menalled, Uriel D., Adeux, Guillaume, Cordeau, Stéphane, Smith, Richard G., Mirsky, Steven B., and Ryan, Matthew R. (2022) Cereal Rye Mulch Biomass and Crop Density Affect Weed Suppression and Community Assembly in No-Till Planted Soybean. Ecosphere 13(6): e4147
- Feng Gao, Jyoti Jennewein, W. Dean Hively, Alexander Soroka, Alison Thieme, Dawn Bradley, Jason Keppler, Steven Mirsky, Uvirkaa Akumaga (2023) Near real-time detection of winter cover crop termination using harmonized Landsat and Sentinel-2 (HLS) to support ecosystem assessment. Science of Remote Sensing, Volume 7, 100073
- Gregory S. Wheeler, Carey Minteer, Eric Rohrig, Sedonia Steininger, Rebecca Nestle, Dale Halbritter, Jorge Leidi, Min Rayamajhi, Emily Le Falchier (2022) Release and Persistence of the Brazilian Peppertree Biological Control Agent Pseudophilothrips ichini (Thysanoptera: Phlaeothripidae) in Florida. Florida Entomologist, 105(3), 225-230
- Christopher A. Landau, Aaron G. Hager, Martin M. Williams (2022) Deteriorating weed control and variable weather portends greater soybean yield losses in the future. Science of The Total Environment, Volume 830, 154764
- Chad S. Boyd, Rory C. O'Connor, Juliana Ranches, David W. Bohnert, Jon D. Bates, Dustin D. Johnson, Kirk W. Davies, Todd Parker, Kevin E. Doherty (2022) Using Virtual Fencing to Create Fuel Breaks in the Sagebrush Steppe. Rangeland Ecology & Management. ISSN 1550-7424
- Smith, J. T., Allred, B. W., Boyd, Chad S., Davies, Kirk W., Jones, M. O., Kleinhesselink, A. R., Maestas, J. D., Morford, S. L., & Naugle, D. E. (2022). The elevational ascent and spread of exotic annual grass dominance in the Great Basin, USA. Diversity and Distributions, 28, 83– 96.
- Huang, Y., Zhao, X., Pan, Z., Reddy, Krishna N. and Zhang, J. (2022) Hyperspectral plant sensing for differentiating glyphosate-resistant and glyphosate-susceptible johnsongrass through machine learning algorithms. Pest Manag Sci, 78: 2370-2377.
- David P. Horvath, Sharon A. Clay, Clarence J. Swanton, James V. Anderson, Wun S. Chao (2023) Weed-induced crop yield loss: a new paradigm and new challenges. Trends in Plant Science. ISSN 1360-1385
- Stephen L. Young and Erik P. Hamerlynck (2023) Patterning ecological restoration after weeds. Restoration Ecology e13841.