|Office of Outreach Diversity, and Equal Opporttunity (ODEO)|
Resonable Accommodation Poster
As required by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008, agencies are required to provide a reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual (employee or applicant) with a disability unless it proves to be an undue hardship. Request for accommodations must be considered on a case-by-case basis and in the majority of cases, can be resolved between the employee and supervisor.
An individual with a disability is a person who:
1. Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits ore or more major life activities;
2. Has a record of such an impairment; or
3. Is regarded as having such impairment.
A qualified employee or applicant with a disability is an individual who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the critical functions of the job in question.
Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to:
1. Making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities.
2. Job restructuring, modifying work schedules, reassignment to a vacant position;
3. Acquiring or modifying equipment or devices, training materials, policies, and providing qualified readers or interpreters.
1. Notify the Supervisor, Disability Program Manager, local Outreach, Diversity and Equal Opportunity Program Manager, or Personnel when the need for an accommodation arises;
2. Complete REE Form 172 'Request for a Reasonable Accommodation' which may be found on e-forms;
3. Suggest accommodation options; and
4. Provide medical documentation to the Disability Program Manager or the Department's Medical Officer. All medical documentation obtained in connection with the accommodation will be kept confidential by the Disability Program Manager and/or the USDA Medical Officer.
1. Participate in an interactive discussion with the employee regarding the accommodation request;
2. Have employee complete REE Form 172;
3. Complete bottom potion of REE Form 172 and forward a completed copy of form to the Disability Program Manager;
4. Suggest accommodation options;
5. Contact the Disability Program Manager for additional assistance.
Denial of Reasonable Accommodation:
An employer is not required to make a reasonable accommodation if it would impose an undue hardship on the agency, when to do so would lower quality or production standards, or when the accommodation would require personal use items (glasses, hearing aids, etc).
A denial of a reasonable accommodation (using REE Form 173) should be immediately completed by the supervisor and communicated by the supervisor to the requestor with a copy forwarded to the Disability Program Manager. REE Form 173 may also be found on eforms.
For additional information or guidance, please contact the Disability Program Manager at (202) 720-6161.