ARS Research is organized into National Programs. The National Programs serve to bring coordination, communication and empowerment to approximately 660 research projects carried out by ARS. National Programs focus on the relevance, impact, and quality of ARS research.
The Office of International Research Engagement and Cooperation (OIREC) is the main contact for ARS international engagement, and provides leadership and coordination for the agency's international relationships. OIREC enhances and complements the ARS research mission through a deep understanding of global issues and an extensive international network of experts in science, agriculture, politics and diplomacy, and security.
To ensure that we do the best possible and most relevant research, we subject projects to rigorous review before, during, and after we carry them out. Learn more about our Office of Scientific Quality Review (OSQR).
ARS Research Initiatives highlight important groupings of research
- Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and Alternatives to Antibiotics (ATA)
- Agriculture and Natural Resources Data Systems (ANDRS)
- Functional Foods Research
- Long-Term Agroecosystem Research (LTAR) Network
- National Plant Disease Recovery System (NPDRS)
- USDA Regional Biomass Research Centers