|B.S. Microbiology||Bangalore University|
|M.S. Microbiology||Bangalore University|
|Ph.D. Soil Science||University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY|
My current research at ARS, Sidney is focused in enhancing soil and water quality that influences soil microbial community structure, diversity, and microbial activity in dryland and irrigated cropping systems. My research interests include studying the effect of crop management practices on soil microbial communities. Specific research interests consist of sustainable soil management, impacts of cover crops, crop rotation and tillage intensity on soil microbial community composition and function, and biochar, arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and plant-growth-promoting rhizobacteria as soil amendments for agriculture.
Before joining ARS, Sidney in 2020, I was a Research Biologist at the ARS, Parlier, California, where my research centered around investigating the effects of soil amendment with biochar produced from different feedstocks found in the San Joaquin Valley of California on soil biological health and crop response under field conditions. Prior to that, I worked as a Post-doctoral Research Associate at the University of California, Davis studying the effect of soil fumigants on target organisms such as soil-borne pathogens and pests and non-target organisms or beneficial soil organisms. My graduate work examined soil microbial community recovery after disturbance under a variety of vegetation such as cool-season grass, shrub, warm-season grass, and crested wheatgrass in fire and surface mine reclamation sites in Wyoming.
Please note: The most recent publications by this scientist may not yet be listed here. Please check the ARIS "Publications" page for possible new titles.
- Rand, T.A., B.L. Allen, J.W. Campbell, J.D. Jabro, and S.R. Dangi. 2022. Pests associated with two brassicaceous oilseeds and a cover crop mix under evaluation as fallow replacements in dryland production systems of the northern Great Plains. The Canadian Entomologist (Accepted).
- Sainju, U.M., D. Lipzin, R. Ghimire, and S.R. Dangi. 2022. Relationship between soil carbon and nitrogen, soil properties, and dryland crop yields. Agronomy Journal 114: 395-414. https://doi.org/10.1002/agj2.20938.
- Dangi, S.R., D. Wang. 2021. Soil microbial properties in a vineyard 10 years after fumigation. Soil Science Society of America Journal 85: 619-635. https://doi.org/10.1002/saj2.20186 (Coverage in the CSA news).
- Dangi, M.B., M.A. Urynowicz, C.L. Schultz, S. Budhathoki, and S.R. Dangi. 2021. Analysis of the effects of in-situ chemical oxidation on microbial activity using Pseudomonas putida F1. Heliyon 12, e08665. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e08665.
- Sainju, U.M., D. Liptzin, S.R. Dangi, and R. Ghimire. 2021. Soil health indicators and wheat yield in response to long-term cropping sequence and nitrogen fertilization. Applied Soil Ecology 168, 104182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2021.104182.
- Sainju, U.M., D. Liptzin, and S.R. Dangi. 2021. Carbon dioxide flush as a soil health indicator related to soil properties and crop yields. Soil Science Society of America Journal 85: 1679-1697. https://doi.org/10.1002/saj2.20288.
- Jabro, J, D., Allen, B.L., Rand, T., Dangi, S.R., and J. Campbell. 2021. Effect of previous crop roots on soil compaction in a no-tillage system. Land 10, 202. https://doi.org/10.3390/land10020202.
- Sainju, U.M., R. Ghimire, and S.R. Dangi. 2021. Soil carbon dioxide and methane emissions and carbon balance with crop rotation and nitrogen fertilization. Science of the Total Environment 775, 145902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.145902.
- Sainju, U.M., D. Liptzin, B.L. Allen, and S.R. Dangi. 2021. Soil health indicators and crop yield in a long-term cropping system experiment. Agronomy Journal 113: 3675-3687. https://doi.org/10.1002/agj2.20673
- Dangi, S.R., S, Gao, and D. Wang. 2020. Soil microbial community structure affected by biochar and fertilizer source. Applied Soil Ecology 150, 103452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2019.103452
- Dangi, S.R. 2020. Soil biological health for agricultural productivity. Asta-Ja Abhiyan Newsletter, 2 (2): 3.
- Gao, S., D. Wang, S.R. Dangi, Y. Duan, J. Gartung, R. Qin, and T. Turini. 2020. Nitrogen dynamics affected by biochar and irrigation level in an onion field. Science of Total Environment 714, 136432. 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.136432
- Dangi, S.R., G. Banuelos, J.S. Buyer, B. D. Hanson, and J. Gerik. 2018. Microbial community biomass and structure in saline and non-saline soils associated with salt-and boron-tolerant poplar clones grown for the phytoremediation of selenium. International Journal of Phytoremediation 20: 129-137. https://doi.org/10.1080/15226514.2017.1337073
- Gao, S., D.A. Doll, R. Qin, S.R. Dangi, J.S. Gerik, D. Wang, and B.D. Hanson. 2018. Emission and crop response in almond orchards fumigated with reduced rates of Telone® C-35 and low permeability film for nematode control. Crop Protection 105: 80-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2017.11.010
- Anjos, D.D., F.F.F. Hernandez, G.S. Banuelos, S.R. Dangi, R. Tirado-Corbala, F.N. da Silva, and P.F. Filho. 2018. Microbial community and heavy metal content in soils along the Curu River in Ceara, Brazil. Geoderma Regional 14, e00173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geodrs.2018.e00173
- Dangi, S.R., R. Tirado-Corbala, J. Gerik, and B.D. Hanson. 2017. Effect of long-term continuous fumigation on soil microbial communities. Agronomy 7 (2): 37. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy7020037
- Dangi, S.R., H. Zhang, D. Wang, J. Gerik, D. Wang, and B.D. Hanson. 2016. Soil microbial community composition in a peach orchard under different irrigation methods and postharvest deficit irrigation. Soil Science 181: 208-215. doi: 10.1097/SS.0000000000000153
- Banuelos, G.S., I.S. Arroyo, S.R. Dangi, and M.C. Zambrano. 2016. Continued biofortication of carrots and broccoli grown in soils once amended with Se-enriched S. pinnata. Frontiers in Plant Science. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.01251
- Reinhart, K.O., S.R. Dangi, and L.T. Vermeire. 2016. The effect of fire intensity, nutrients, soil microbes, and spatial distance on grassland productivity. Plant and Soil 409: 203-216. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-016-2957-3
- Dangi, S.R., J. Gerik, R. Tirado-Corbala, and H. Ajwa. 2015. Soil microbial community structure and target organisms under different fumigation treatments. Applied and Environmental Soil Science 673264, 8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/673264
- Dangi, S.R., R. Tirado-Corbala, J.A. Cabrera, J. Gerik, and D. Wang. 2014. Response of soil biotic and abiotic factors to dimethyl disulfide fumigation. Soil Science Society of America Journal 78:520-530 doi: 10.2136/sssaj2013.08.0324 (Coverage in the CSA news).
- Dangi, S.R. 2014. Book review of: Soil Ecology and Ecosystem Services, by Diana, H.W., R.D. Bargett, V. Behan-Pelletier, J.E. Herrick, H. Jones, K. Ritz, J. Six, D.R. Strong, and W.H. Van der Putten 2012 (eds.). Soil Science Society of America Journal (2014) 78: 335-335.
- Dangi, S.R., P.D. Stahl, A.F. Wick, L.J. Ingram, and J.S. Buyer. 2012. Soil microbial community recovery in reclaimed soil on a surface coal mine site. Soil Science Society of America Journal 79: 915-924. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2011.0288
- Dangi, S.R., P.D. Stahl, L.J. Ingram, J.S. Buyer, and M.B. Cleary. 2010. Recovery of soil microbial community structure after fire in sagebrush grassland. Land Degradation and Development 21: 423-432. https://doi.org/10.1002/ldr.975
- Stahl, P.D., A.F. Wick, S.R. Dangi, V. Regula, L.J. Ingram and D.L. Mummey. 2009. Ecosystem recovery on reclaimed minelands. Proceedings of the 2009 Joint National Meeting of the Billings Land Reclamation Symposium and the American Society for Mining and Reclamation, Billings, MT., June 1-4, 2009. doi: 10.21000/JASMR09011371
- Wick, A.F., P.D. Stahl, S.R. Dangi and L.J. Ingram. 2007. Recovery of reclaimed soil structure and function in relation to plant community composition. American society of mining and reclamation annual meeting, June 2-7, 2007, Gillette, WY. Published by the Billings land reclamation symposium and American society of mining and reclamation, 3134 Montavesta Rd, Lexington, KY 40502. doi: 10.21000/JASMR07010941
- Dangi, S.R., P.D. Stahl, L.J. Ingram and A.F. Wick. 2007. Soil microbial community recovery in reclaimed soil under different vegetation in Wyoming minelands. Proceedings of 2007 National Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation, Gillette WY, June, 2-7, 2007. doi: 10.21000/JASMR07010653
- Stahl, P.D., L.J. Ingram and A.F. Wick and S.R. Dangi. 2006. Relating mineland reclamation to ecosystem restoration. Proceedings of 2006 Billings Land Reclamation Symposium. Billings, Montana, June 4-8, 2006. doi: 10.21000/JASMR06010695
- Dangi, S.R., P.D. Stahl, L.J. Ingram and A.F. Wick. 2006. Influence of plant community structure on recovery of belowground microbial communities in reclaimed surface mined soil. Proceedings of 2006 Billings Land Reclamation Symposium. Billings, Montana, June 4-8, 2006.
Influence of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi and Rhizobium on soil health and plant growth, Montana Department of Agriculture, 2021-2024, $375,000.
Determination of post fumigation recovery of soil microbial communities over time, California Department of Food and Agriculture, 2012-2014, $253,019.
Detection and quantification of pathogenic Pythium species in Calla lily soils, California Department of Food and Agriculture, 2012- 2014, $225,019.