Skip to main content
ARS Home » Southeast Area » Stoneville, Mississippi » Cotton Ginning Research » Research » Publications at this Location » Publication #98787


item Buser, Michael

Submitted to: National Cotton Council Beltwide Cotton Conference
Publication Type: Proceedings
Publication Acceptance Date: 1/31/1999
Publication Date: N/A
Citation: N/A

Interpretive Summary: An estimated 2.8 million tons of cotton gin waste are produced by U. S. cotton gins annually, creating a significant problem in the ginning industry. Currently, the most common methods of disposal include composting, direct land application, and livestock feed. Surveys estimate that 37% of the cotton gin waste produced annually in the U. S. is utilized at a profit or at no cost to the gins, while the other 63% paid for disposal. The nutritional value of cotton gin waste is similar to roughage-type feeds, which has created an interest in adding cotton gin waste to livestock feed rations. The primary concern of feeding cotton gin waste to livestock is the potential for chemical residues in the material. Mixtures of gin waste and cottonseed were extruded under high pressure and temperature to possibly mitigate the chemical residue potential and reduce gossypol and aflatoxin contents. The extruded samples from these tests are currently being analyzed for chemical residue, gossypol, and aflatoxin; results will be reported later. The ability to utilize cotton gin waste in livestock rations will increase gin profits, reduce landfill disposal, and generate an alternative roughage in the livestock industry.

Technical Abstract: Whole cottonseed and cotton gin waste (CGW) were mixed together and processed in a dry extruder to determine the feasibility of the mixture as a livestock feed. Samples were collected during the study to determine if the temperature and pressure associated with extrusion would reduce the chemical residues in the CGW, reduce gossypol and aflatoxins in cottonseed, and affect the nutritional value of the mixture. This report describes the study through the extrusion process. Laboratory analyses of the samples are not available at this time and will be reported later.