||Uvirkaa Akumaga, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
USDA-ARS Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory
Bldg. 007, Rm. 104, BARC-West
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
Voice: (301) 504-7490
Fax: (301) 504-8931
- Agricultural systems modeling.
- Crop phenology and yield mapping at field and regional scales.
- Crop condition monitoring using crop models and remote sensing.
- Climate change/adaptation options.
- Hydrology and water resources.
- Integration of remote sensing and crop modeling.
- Environment and development.
- Food security and Africa.
- 2004 B.S. (Geography) Benue State University, Makurdi, Nigeria.
- 2008 M.S. (Geography) Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Nigeria.
- 2018 Ph.D. (Geography) University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, USA.
- 2005 - 2006: UNDP Census Monitor, Abuja, Nigeria.
- 2006 - 2011: Vice Principal, Shepherd’s International College, Akwanga, Nigeria.
- 2011 - 2016: Research Assistant, Dept. of Geography and Environmental Sustainability, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK.
- 2017 - 2018: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dept. of Plant and Soil Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK.
- 2018 - 2020: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Division of Plant Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO.
- 2021 - present: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, USDA-ARS Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Beltsville, MD.
- 2007: Best Supervisor Award for effectively managing the permanent site construction. Shepherd’s International College, Akwanga, Nigeria.
- 2006 - 2008: Best Teachers Award for producing consistently best students’ performance in WAEC Exam. Shepherd’s International College, Akwanga, Nasarawa State, Nigeria.
- $1000: International Advisory Committee Scholarship, University of Oklahoma.
- $2000: Robberson Travel Grant, University of Oklahoma.
- 2017: $5000 Graduate College Research Scholarship, University of Oklahoma.
- 2021: Co-I of a $76,000 (N31,999,999.00 Naira-Nigeria) research grant from Nigeria tertiary institution research fund (tetfund) titled “Building Resilience to Urban Flood Risk in Central Nigeria”.
- Reviewer for many international peer review journals (e.g., Agricultural and forest meteorology, Remote Sensing, Agronomy, Sustainability, climate, atmosphere, water)
- American Association of Geographers (AAG). Student paper awards reviewer, Conference volunteer worker
- American Society of Agronomy (ASA)
- Association of Nigerian Geographers (ANG)
- Nigerian Meteorological Society (NMS)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Akumaga, U., Gao, F., Anderson, M., Dulaney, W., 2022. Integration of remote sensing and field observations in evaluating DSSAT model in estimating soybean and maize growth and yield in Maryland, USA (in preparation).
Feng Gao, Jyoti Jennewein, W. Dean Hively, Alexander Soroka, Alison Thieme, Dawn Bradley, Jason Keppler, Steven Mirsky, Uvirkaa Akumaga, 2022. Near real-time detection of winter cover crop termination using harmonized Landsat and Sentinel-2 (HLS) to support ecosystem assessment (in review).
Akumaga, U., P. Alderman, 2019. Comparison of Penman-Monteith and Priestley-Taylor Evapotranspiration Methods for Crop Modeling in Oklahoma J. Agron.111(3):1171-1180
Akumaga, U., A. Tarhule, C. Piani, B. Traore and A.A.Yusuf, 2018. Utilizing Process-based Modeling to Assess the Impact of Climate Change on Crop Yields and Adaptation Options in the Niger River Basin, West Africa. Agronomy, 8(2), 11; doi:10.3390/agronomy8020011
Akumaga, U., and A. Tarhule, 2018. Projected changes in intra-season rainfall characteristics in the Niger River Basin, West Africa. Atmosphere, 9(497)
Akumaga, U., Tarhule, A., and Yusuf, A., 2017. Validation and testing of the FAO AquaCrop model under different levels of nitrogen fertilizer on rainfed maize in Nigeria, West Africa. J. Agric &Forest Meteor.232:225-234