|DAVIDSON, R WAYNE - Florida Sugarcane League|
|GILBERT, ROBERT - University Of Florida|
|GLYNN, NEIL - Syngenta, Inc|
|MILLER, JIMMY - Retired ARS Employee|
|TAI, PETER Y - Retired ARS Employee|
Submitted to: Journal of Plant Registrations
Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal
Publication Acceptance Date: 4/4/2013
Publication Date: 5/31/2013
Publication URL: http://handle.nal.usda.gov/10113/58629
Citation: Edme, S.J., Davidson, R., Gilbert, R.A., Glynn, N.C., Zhao, D., Comstock, J.C., Glaz, B.S., Sood, S.G., Miller, J.D., Tai, P.P. 2013. Registration of ‘CP 04-1935’ Sugarcane. Journal of Plant Registrations. 7:288-295. DOI: 10.3198/jpr2012.12.0057crc.
Interpretive Summary: About 20% of the 400,000 acres planted to sugarcane in the Florida Everglades Agricultural Area (around the Lake Okeechobee) are grown on sandy soils, and the remaining 80% are on organic (muck) soils. Sugarcane varieties tend to be specifically adapted to either type of soils. To maximize the economic returns of growers’ farms, the USDA-ARS Canal Point sugarcane breeding program is challenged to develop varieties that yield well across both soil types and also to identify and release those with specific adaptation. In the history of breeding of this program, greater success has been achieved with varieties adapted to the muck than to the sandy soils. CP 04-1935, as a new release, is expected to fill this gap as it indicated in the field testing phase (5 years) that it had no adaptation for muck but a superior performance on sand when compared with two check cultivars (CP 78-1628 and CP 89-2143) and 15 other genotypes of the same CP series. In the final stage of selection (Stage 4), CP 04-1935 was tested across three crop-years for yield performance and disease evaluation at two locations with sand soils in South Florida (EAA) and for freeze tolerance in North Florida for two crop-years. Relative to CP 78-1628, the reference variety for sand soils, CP 04-1935 had 3.5% higher sucrose content and yielded 11% more cane and 14.5% higher sucrose on an acreage basis. Field and inoculation tests indicated that CP 04-1935 is resistant to most of the important diseases prevailing in Florida, such as brown and orange rusts, mosaic, and eyespot and it is moderately resistant to leaf scald, smut, and ratoon stunt. However, CP 04-1935 is susceptible to the yellow leaf virus, a relatively minor disease in Florida. The freeze tolerance of CP 04-1935 was significantly less than that of CP 89-2143, which is the Florida industry standard for acceptable freeze tolerance: the respective sucrose loss in CP 04-1935 and in CP 89-2143 was 12 and 10% across time after mild freeze temperatures compared with 30% and 22% under severe freeze conditions. The economic index calculated for CP 04-1935 predicted a 19% higher profitability than that for CP 78-1628 when grown on sand soils. Considering the pressure on the breeding program to develop better sand-adapted cultivars, CP 04-1935 is expected to find a niche in the Florida industry based on its high yields and good disease profile and ultimately contribute to the economy of South Florida and the USA.
Technical Abstract: CP 04-1935 is sugarcane variety that was developed by a cooperative research involving the USDA-ARS, the University of Florida, and the Florida Sugar Cane League, Inc. It was released to growers in Florida on 20 Sep. 2011. CP 04-1935 was selected from the cross between CP 94-2059 and CP 84-1322 made at Canal Point, FL on 8 Dec. 1998. In the final stage of selection (Stage 4), CP 04-1935 was tested for yield performance at two locations with sand soils and compared with 15 other genotypes across three crop-years or for freeze tolerance in North Florida for two crop-years. CP 04-1935 performed better than the reference cultivar for sand (CP 78-1628) in the tests, producing 11% higher cane yield, 3.5% higher sucrose content, and 14.5% higher sucrose yield. CP 04-1935 is resistant to the rust pathogens (brown rust caused by Puccinia melanocephala H. & P. Sydow and orange rust caused by Puccinia kuehnii E.J. Butler), to the Sugarcane mosaic virus strain E (mosaic) and to eyespot(caused by the fungus Bipolaris sacchari); it is moderately resistant to leaf scald (caused by Xanthomonas albilineans Ashby, Dowson), to smut (caused by Ustilago scitaminea H. & P. Sydow), and to ratoon stunt (caused by Leifsonia xyli subsp. xyli Evtsuhenko et al.), but it is susceptible to the yellow leaf virus. CP 04-1935 performed significantly less under freeze conditions than CP 89-2143, which is the industry standard for acceptable freeze tolerance in Florida. With its profitability predicted to be 19% higher than that of CP 78-1628 combined with a good disease profile, CP 04-1935 was recommended for planting on sand soils in Florida.