Skip to main content
ARS Home » Midwest Area » East Lansing, Michigan » Sugarbeet and Bean Research » Research » Publications at this Location » Publication #114371


item Yu, Yi
item Mcgrath, J Mitchell - Mitch
item Derrico, Cathy

Submitted to: Plant Molecular Biology International Conference Proceedings
Publication Type: Abstract Only
Publication Acceptance Date: 6/24/2000
Publication Date: N/A
Citation: N/A

Interpretive Summary:

Technical Abstract: The objective of this research was to dissect the molecular components determining the expression of seed vigor in sugar beet, through the discovery of cultivar specific, differential gene action in response to sub-optimal germination environments. Isolation, identification and characterization of specific genes that contribute to abiotic stress tolerance expressed during germination is the primary approach. These genes include those that are either induced or repressed in the cultivar USH20 under specific stress conditions. Our initial survey of differential gene expression in USH20 resulted in 807 cDNA fragments, which were amplified using 50 combinations of anchored and arbitrary primers. The patterns observed in the mRNA profiles indicated significant changes in gene expression under optimal and sub-optimal environments. Of the total 807 bands observed, 95% corresponded to genes that were expressed in all treatments. The other 5% showed induced expression in response to at leas one treatment. Some of these have been cloned and their nucleotide sequences have been obtained. Where the function of these clones has been surmised from matches in the world genome databases, further discussion relates to potential clues for stress germination mechanisms and targets for further analyses and manipulations. Future work will include comparisons among good and poor stress emergers.