USDA, Agricultural Research Service
Subtropical Horticulture Research Station
Environmental Management System
The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) conducts research to develop solutions to agricultural problems of high national priority. In conjunction with this mission, ARS is committed to protecting human health and the environment; meeting or exceeding Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, codes, and guidelines; and employing sustainable pollution prevention practices. Whenever feasible, ARS will utilize pollution prevention initiatives as the means for achieving compliance. We will strive to minimize impacts and continually improve our environmental performance by:
- Maintaining a policy of commitment to environmental excellence.
- Developing annual goals, objectives, and targets to advance our program performance in terms of both regulated and unregulated impacts.
- Considering environmental impacts when making policy, planning, purchasing, and operating decisions.
- Identifying and complying with pertinent requirements in Federal, State, and local laws and regulations; permits; Department of Agriculture and ARS policies and procedures; and industry codes that we must adhere to.
- Requesting the necessary resources to successfully carry out our goals, objectives, and targets.
- Making personnel aware of their environmental roles and responsibilities, providing appropriate training, and holding employees accountable for their performance and actions, including recognizing them for outstanding performance.
- Effectively communicating with employees, partners, stakeholders, customers, and the general public, our commitment to the environment and soliciting their input in developing and achieving our goals and objectives.
- Routinely monitoring our environmental operations and conducting periodic inspections, audits, and reviews to ascertain that we meet applicable standards and to evaluate our program effectiveness.
- Correcting identified deficiencies in a timely manner and taking appropriate steps to prevent their recurrence.
- Clearly documenting and reporting the progress and achievements related to this policy.