Page Banner

United States Department of Agriculture

Agricultural Research Service

Research Project: IMPROVED PLANT GENETIC RESOURCES FOR PASTURES AND RANGELANDS IN THE TEMPERATE SEMIARID REGIONS OF THE WESTERN U.S.

Location: Forage and Range Research

Title: Genetic variation among laboratory accessions of Chinese spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)

Authors
item Mott, Ivan
item Wang, Richard

Submitted to: Plant Genetic Resources
Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal
Publication Acceptance Date: February 16, 2012
Publication Date: March 13, 2012
Citation: Mott, I.W., Wang, R. 2012. Genetic variation among laboratory accessions of Chinese spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Genet Res. 10:97-100.

Interpretive Summary: Chinese Spring (CS) wheat is a model for wheat research and is commonly used in cytogenetic analysis, molecular mapping, and germplasm development. Thousands of genomic and expressed DNA sequences are publicly available from CS. Gene expression analysis of salt tolerant wheat lines W4909 and W4910 compared to the Chinese Spring common background led to the discovery of several expressed sequences that were absent in the Chinese Spring accession held in our laboratory. A survey of thirteen Chinese Spring accessions from multiple laboratories using Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) with gene-specific primers for eight genes resulted in amplification success ranging from 15% to 100%. Further DNA diversity analysis showed that 99% of the genetic variation was among accessions while only 1% was within accessions. A genetic tree showed that four accessions grouped with the salt tolerant wheat cultivar Yecora Rojo (YR) while the remaining CS accessions had limited genetic distance. These results demonstrated that variation exists among these highly self-pollinating sources of CS and that appropriate consideration should be taken when using CS accessions to conduct molecular analysis and gene discovery research.

Technical Abstract: Chinese Spring (CS) wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) is commonly used in genetic research including cytogenetic analysis, molecular mapping, and germplasm development. Aneuploid lines of alien chromosomes in CS background have been used in studies with diverse objectives. Thousands of genomic and cDNA sequences from EST libraries of biotic- and abiotic-stressed tissues are publicly available from CS. Gene expression analysis of salt tolerant wheat lines W4909 and W4910 compared to the CS common background led to the discovery of several expressed sequences that were absent in the CS accession held in our laboratory. A survey of 13 CS accessions from multiple laboratories using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) with gene-specific primers for eight salt-responsive genes resulted in amplification success ranging from 15% to 100%. Amplified fragment length polymorphisms (AFLP) analysis showed that 99% of the genetic variation was among accessions while the remaining 1% was within accessions. A neighbor-joining phylogram showed that four accessions grouped with the salt tolerant wheat cultivar Yecora Rojo (YR) while the remaining CS accessions had limited genetic differences. Thus, variation exists among these highly self-pollinating CS sources suggesting that appropriate consideration should be taken when using CS accessions to conduct molecular analysis and gene discovery research.

Last Modified: 4/16/2014
Footer Content Back to Top of Page