Research Molecular Biologist
Cotton Fiber Bioscience Research Unit
USDA-ARS, Southern Regional Research Center
1100 Allen Toussaint Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70124-4305
Journal Publications (52)
- Kim HJ*, Kato N, Ndathe R, Thyssen GN, Jones DC, Ratnayaka HH*, Evidence for thermosensitivity of the cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) immature fiber (im) mutant via hypersensitive stomatal activity. PLoS One 16 (12): E0259562, 1-25, 2021.
- Kim HJ*, Delhom CD, Liu Y, Jones DC, Xu B, Characterizations of a distributional parameter that evaluates contents of immature fibers within and among cotton samples, Cellulose, 28: 9023-9038, 2021.
- He Z, Liu Y, Kim HJ, Tewolde H, Zhang H, Fourier transform infrared spectral features of plant biomass components during cotton organ development and their biological implications, Journal of Cotton Research, Journal of Cotton Research 5 (11): 1-13, 2021.
- Kim HJ*, Delhom CD, Fang DD, Zeng L, Jenkins JN, McCarty JC, Jones DC, Application of the Cottonscope for determining fiber maturity and fineness of an upland cotton MAGIC population, Crop Science, 60: 2266-2279, 2020.
- Liu Y, Kim HJ, Separation of underdeveloped from developed cotton fibers by attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, Microchemical Journal, 158: 105152, 1-7, 2020.
- Kim HJ*, Thyssen GN, Song X, Delhom CD, Liu Y, Functional divergence of cellulose synthase orthologs in between wild Gossypium raimondii and domesticated arboreum diploid cotton species, Cellulose, 26, 9483-9501, 2019.
- Kim HJ*, Delhom CD, Rodgers JE, Jones DC, Effect of fiber maturity on bundle and single fiber strength of Upland cotton. Crop Science, 59: 115-124, 2019.
- Kim HJ*, Liu Y, Fang DD, Delhom CD, Feasibility assessment of phenotyping cotton fiber maturity using infrared spectroscopy and algorithms for genotyping analyses. Journal of Cotton Research, 2 (8): 1-12, 2019.
- Liu Y*, Kim HJ*, Delhom CD, Thibodeaux DP, Investigation of fiber maturity measurement by cross-sectional image analysis and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy on developing and developed cottons. Cellulose, 26 (10): 5865-5875.
- Liu Y, Kim HJ, Comparative investigation of secondary cell wall (SCW) development in cotton fiber near isogenic lines (NILs) by attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared (ATR FT-IR) spectroscopy. Applied Spectroscopy, 73: 329-336, 2019.
- Kim HJ*, Liu Y, French AD, Lee CM, Kim SH, Comparison and validation of Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopic methods for monitoring secondary cell wall cellulose from cotton fibers. Cellulose, 25: 49-64, 2018.
- Fang DD, Naoumkina MA, Kim HJ, Unraveling cotton fiber development using fiber mutants in the post-genomic era, Crop Science, 58: 2214-2228, 2018.
- Fang DD, Kim HJ, History of cotton fiber bioscience research at USDA-ARS Southern Regional Research Center. Journal of Cotton Science, 22: 12-23, 2018.
- Kim HJ*, Lee CM, Dazen K, Delhom CD, Liu Y, Rodgers JE, French AD, Kim SH, Comparative physical and chemical analyses of cotton fibers from two near isogenic upland lines differing in fiber wall thickness. Cellulose, 24:2385-2401, 2017.
- Liu Y., Kim HJ, Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR) and simple algorithm analysis for rapid and non-destructive assessment of developmental cotton fibers. Sensors, 17, 1469: 1-13, 2017.
- Liu Y, Kim HJ, Characterization of developmental immature fiber (im) mutant and Texas Marker-1 (TM-1) cotton fibers using attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared (ATR FT-IR) spectroscopy. Applied Spectroscopy, 7: 1689-1695, 2017.
- Kim HJ*, Liu Y, Dowd MK, Frelichowski J, Delhom CD. Rodgers JE, Thibodeaux, D. P., Comparative phenotypic analysis of Gossypium raimondii with Upland cotton. Journal of Cotton Science, 20: 132-144, 2016.
- Islam MS, Fang DD, Thyssen GN, Delhom CD, Liu Y, Kim HJ*, Comparative fiber property and transcriptome analyses reveal key genes potentially related to high fiber strength in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) line MD52ne. BMC Plant Biology, 16:36 1-19, 2016.
- Thyssen GN, Fang DD, Zeng L, Song X, Delhom CD, Condon TL, Li P, Kim HJ*, The immature fiber mutant phenotype of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) is linked to a 22-bp frame-shift deletion in a mitochondria targeted pentatricopeptide repeat gene, G3 : Genes|Genomes | Genetics, 6: 1627-1633. 2016.
- Nam S, Kim HJ, Condon BD, Hinchliffe DJ, Chang S, McCarty JC, Madison CA, High resistance to thermal decomposition in brown cotton is linked to tannins and sodium content. Cellulose, 23: 1137-1152. 2016.
- Islam MS, Zeng L, Thyssen GN, Delhom CD, Kim HJ, Li P, Fang DD, Mapping by sequencing in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) line MD52ne identified candidate genes for fiber strength and its related quality attributes. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 129:1071-1086. 2016.
- Kim HJ*, Hinchliffe DJ, Triplett BA, Chen ZJ, Stelly DM, Yeater KM, Moon HS, Gilbert MK, Thyssen G, Turley RB, Fang DD, Phytohormonal networks promote differentiation of fiber initials on pre-anthesis cotton ovules grown in vitro and in planta. PLoS One, 10(4): e0125046. 2015.
- Liu Y, Kim HJ,Use of attenuated total reflection fourier transform infrared (ATR-FTIR) spectroscopy in direct, non-destructive, and rapid assessment of developmental cotton fibers grown in planta and in culture. Applied Spectroscopy. 69: 1004-1010. 2015.
- Kim HJ*, Rodgers J, Delhom C, Cui X, Comparisons of methods measuring fiber maturity and fineness of Upland cotton fibers containing different degree of fiber cell wall development. Textile Research Journal. 84: 1622-1633. 2014.
- Islam M.S, Zeng L, Delhom CD, Song X, Kim HJ, Li P, Fang DD, Identification of cotton fiber quality QTLs using intraspecific crosses derived from two near isogenic lines differing in fiber bundle strength. Molecular Breeding. 34: 373-384. 2014.
- Gilbert MK, Kim HJ, Tang Y, Naoumkina M, Fang DD, Comparative transcriptome analysis of short fiber mutants Ligon-lintless 1and 2 reveals common mechanisms pertinent to fiber elongation in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). PLoS One, 9(4): e95554, 2014.
- Thyssen GN, Song X, Naoumkina M, Kim HJ, Fang DD. Independent replication of mitochondrial genes supports the transcriptional program in developing cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) fiber cells. Gene, 544: 41-48. 2014.
- Kim HJ*, Tang Y, Moon HS, Delhom CD, Fang DD. Functional analyses of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) immature fiber (im) mutant reveal that fiber cell wall development is associated with stress responses. BMC Genomics. 14: 889. 2013.
- Kim HJ, Moon HS, Delhom CD, Zeng L, Fang, DD. Molecular markers associated with the immature fiber (im) gene affecting the degree of fiber cell wall thickening in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 126:23-31. 2013.
- Rodgers J, Delhom C, Hinchliffe D, Kim HJ, Cui X. A rapid measurement for cotton breeders of maturity and fineness from developing and mature fibers. Textile Research Journal. 83: 1439-1451. 2013.
- Lee M-K, Zhang Y, Zhang M, Goebel M, Kim HJ, Triplett BA, Stelly DM, Zhang H-B. Construction of a plant-transformation-competent BIBAC library and genome sequence analysis of polyploid Upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). BMC Genomics. 14: 208. 2013.
- Gilbert MK, Turley RB, Kim HJ, Li P, Thyssen G, Tang Y, Delhom CD, Naoumkina M, Fang DD. Transcript profiling by microarray and marker analysis of the short cotton (Gossypium hirsutum ) fiber mutant Ligon lintless-1 (Li1). BMC Genomics.14: 403. 2013.
- Kim HJ,Triplett BA, Zhang HB, Lee MK, Hinchliffe DJ, Li P, Fang DD. Cloning and molecular characterization of homeologous cellulose synthase catalytic subunit 2 genes from allotetraploid cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Gene. 494:181-189. 2012.
- Kim HJ*, Murai N, Fang DD, Triplett BA. Functional analysis of Gossypium hirsutumcellulose synthase catalytic subunit 4 promoter in transgenic Arabidopsis and cotton tissues. Plant Science, 180: 323-332. 2011.
- Hinchliffe DJ, Rickie BT, Naoumkina M, Kim HJ,Tang Y, Yeater KM, Li P, Fang DD. A combined functional and structural genomics approach identified an EST-SSR marker with complete linkage to the Ligon lintless-2 genetic locus in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). BMC Genomics, 12:445. 2011.
- Hinchliffe DJ, Meredith WR, Yeater KM, Kim HJ, Woodward AW, Chen ZJ, Triplett BA. Near-isogenic cotton germplasm lines that differ in fiber-bundle strength have temporal differences in fiber gene expression patterns as revealed by comparative high-throughput profiling. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 120:1347–1366. 2010.
- Kim HJ, Kato N, Kim S, Triplett B. Cu/Zn superoxide dismutases in developing cotton fibers: Evidence for an extracellular form. Planta, 228: 281-292. 2008.
- Kim HJ, Triplett B. Involvement of extracellular Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase in cotton fiber primary and secondary cell wall biosynthesis. Plant Signaling & Behavior, 3: 1119–1121. 2008.
- Altaf-Khan M, Kim HJ, Myers GO, Triplett BA. GhSEM-1 marker potentially associated with regeneration ability in cotton. Journal of Crop Improvement, 16: 21-35. 2006.
- Kim HJ, Triplett BA. Characterization of GhRac1 GTPase expressed in developing cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) fibers. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1679: 214-221. 2004.
- Kim HJ, Pesacreta TC, Triplett BA. Cotton-fiber germin-like protein. II: Immunolocalization, purification, and functional analysis. Planta, 218: 525-535. 2004.
- Kim HJ, Triplett BA. Cotton fiber germin-like protein. I. Molecular cloning and gene expression. Planta, 218: 516-524. 2004.
- Kim HJ, Williams MY, Triplett BA. A novel expression assay system for fiber specific promoters in developing cotton fibers. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, 20: 7-18. 2002.
- Kim HJ, Triplett BA. Cotton fiber growth in plant and in vitromodels for plant cell elongation and cell wall biogenesis. Plant Physiology, 127: 1361-1366. 2001.
- Kim HJ, Charalambopoulos J, Triplett BA. Characterization of a cDNA Encoding a Rac-like GTP-Binding Protein (Accession No. AF165925) from Cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). Plant Physiology, 122: 291. 2000.
- Charalambopoulos J, Kim HJ, Triplett BA. Characterization of two cDNAs encoding Rab small GTP-binding proteins (Accession Nos. AF165095 and AF 165096) from cotton (Gossypium hirsutum, L.). Plant Physiology, 121: 685. 1999.
- Kim HJ, Triplett BA. Characterization of a manganese superoxide dismutase (Accession No. AF061514) from cotton fiber. Plant Physiology, 118: 712. 1998.
- Kim HJ, Bracey MH, Bartlett SG. Nucleotide sequence of a gene encoding carbonic anhydrase in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology, 105: 449. 1994.
- Park SS., Kim HJ, Kim CH, Kim HJ, Lee JS, Lee KW, Choi YD, Isolation of a rice genomic clone encoding ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase. Applied Biological Chemistry 37: 361-369. 1994.
- Ahn JH, Kim HJ, Choi YD, Kim SI. Molecular cloning and nucleotide sequencing of a cDNA encoding soybean Bowman-Birk Trypsin Isoinhibitor PI IV. Korean Biochemical Journal, 22: 260-267. 1989.
- Song SI, Kim CH, Baek SJ, Kim HJ, Lee SY, Kim SI, Choi YD. A cDNA cloning of soybean proteinase inhibitor. J Agric Sci2: 163-174. 1989.
- Choi YD, Kim HJ, Hwang YS, Chung TY. Studies on the expression mechanism of light induced gene of rice. Res Rept RDA(Agri Institutional Cooperation) 31: 1-8. 1988.
Book Chapters (7)
- Kim HJ*, Cotton hairy root culture as an alternative tool for cotton functional genomics, pp213-221. In Zhang B (ed) Transgenic Cotton: Methods and Protocols, 2nd edition, Springer, Science+Business Media, New York, 2019.
- Kim HJ*, Cotton fiber biosynthesis, pp 133-150, In Fang DD (ed) Cotton Fiber: Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2018.
- French, AD, Kim HJ, Cotton fiber structure, pp 13-39, In Fang DD (ed) Cotton Fiber: Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2018.
- Kim HJ*, Fiber biology, pp 97-127. In Fang DD & Percy RG (ed) Cotton, 2ndedition, American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America. Madison, WI.
- Kim HJ*,Agrobacterium rhizogenes-induced cotton hairy root culture as an alternative tool for cotton functional genomics, pp179-187. In Zhang B (ed) Transgenic Cotton: Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 958, Springer, Science+Business Media, New York, 2013.
- Triplett BA, Kim HJ, Using cotton fiber development to discover how plant cells grow, In The Science and Lore of the Plant Cell Wall(Hayashi, T., ed.), pp155-163, Universal Publishers. 2006.
- Triplett BA, Kim HJ, Hinchliffe D, Sze S-H, Thaxton P, Stelly D, Chen ZJ. “Phytohormone regulation of cotton fiber development In vitro” InBiotechnology and sustainable agriculture 2006 and beyond (Xu, Z., Li, J., Xue, Y., and Yang, W., ed.), pp 153-156, Springer Netherlands. 2008.