|Mud Pie Science Activity 1|
Dirt is Dirt!
To see that soil is made up of different parts
|soil from the yard, jar with lid, water |
1. Fill the jar half full with soil.
2. Pour in water until it nearly reaches the top.
3. Place the lid on the jar and shake.
4. Let the jar stand 25-30 minutes.
|Think About This:|
1. How many layers do you see?
2. How big are the pieces on the bottom?
3. How big are the pieces on top?
4. Is there anything floating on the top?
1. Use a plastic jar. Follow steps 1-3. Remove lid to allow the water to evaporate. Once the water is gone, slit the jar and separate the layers. Compare the layers.
2. Repeat the activity using a soil sample from a different part of the yard. Compare the two jars.
|"Ag"-tivities||Soil Sleuths||More Dirt|