|Down and Dirty Experiment 1|
Parts is Parts
Is all soil the same?
|Procedures:||1. Fill each jar half full with dirt. Label each jar describing where the soil came from. |
|2. Pour in water until it nearly reaches the top of each jar. |
3. Place the lids on the jars and shake.
4. Let the jars stand 25-30 minutes.
5. Hold a piece of paper against the side of each jar and draw a diagram of the different layers.
6. Label each layer based on its particle size. Refer to "Dig that Stuff" for help.
7. Compare the diagrams.
Think About This:
1. Are all of your diagrams the same? What does this tell you about the soil in your yard?
2. Would this information affect where you might plant things?
3. What kinds of problems do farmers face?
|"Ag"-tivities||Soil Sleuths||More Dirt|