Why use peanut oil?
- Highest potential in SE (see table below)
- High oleic varieties = high quality diesel
- The first diesel engine was powered bt peanut oil!
What are the benefits?
- Single farms, or groups of farmers, can be fuel independent
- Clean burning, renewable fuel
- Costs less than buying petro-diesel
- Capture tax credits and incentives from the government
- Peanut meal (by-product) is valuable animal feed
How do I make biodiesel?
- One ton farmer stock peanuts yields about 100 gal crude peanut oil + 800 lbs meal
- Crude peanut oil is mixed with methanol and a catalyst (lye)
- The result is methyl ester, or biodiesel (B100)
- B100 will run in any diesel engine without mdification; or can be blended to your specifications
This chart illustrates B100 yield per acre for 8 varieties grown in a low-input, low cost production system. No fungicides, insecticides, and very little herbicides were used.
Download handout of this page or for more information contact: