Skip to main content
ARS Home » Midwest Area » Ames, Iowa » Corn Insects and Crop Genetics Research » Research » Publications at this Location » Publication #371638

Research Project: SoyBase and the Legume Clade Database

Location: Corn Insects and Crop Genetics Research

Title: Genetic variation among 481 diverse soybean accessions, inferred from genomic re-sequencing

item VALLIYODAN, BABU - Lincoln University Of Missouri
item Brown, Anne
item WANG, J - University Of Missouri
item PATIL, GUVANT - University Of Minnesota
item LIU, YANG - University Of Missouri
item OTYAMA, PAUL - Iowa State University
item Nelson, Rex
item VUONG, TRI - University Of Missouri
item Song, Qijian
item MUSKET, THERESA - University Of Missouri
item WAGNER, RUTH - Bayer Cropscience
item MARRI, PRADEEP - Corteva Agriscience
item REDDY, SAM - Corteva Agriscience
item SESSIONS, ALLEN - Bayer Cropscience
item WU, XIAOLEI - Bayer Cropscience
item GRANT, DAVID - Former ARS Employee
item BAYER, PHILLIP - University Of Western Australia
item ROORKIWAL, MANISH - International Crops Research Institute For The Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)
item VARSHNEY, RAJEEV - International Crops Research Institute For The Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)
item LIU, XIN - Beijing Genome Institute
item EDWARDS, DAVID - University Of Western Australia
item XU, DONG - University Of Missouri
item JOSHI, TRUPTI - University Of Missouri
item Cannon, Steven
item NGUYEN, HENRY - University Of Missouri

Submitted to: Scientific Data
Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal
Publication Acceptance Date: 11/9/2020
Publication Date: 2/8/2021
Citation: Valliyodan, B., Brown, A.V., Wang, J., Patil, G., Liu, Y., Otyama, P.I., Nelson, R., Vuong, T., Song, Q., Musket, T.A., Wagner, R., Marri, P., Reddy, S., Sessions, A., Wu, X., Grant, D.M., Bayer, P., Roorkiwal, M., Varshney, R.K., Liu, X., Edwards, D., Xu, D., Joshi, T., Cannon, S.B., Nguyen, H.T. 2020. Genetic variation among 481 diverse soybean accessions, inferred from genomic re-sequencing. Scientific Data. 8. Article 50.

Interpretive Summary: Comparison of 481 soybean lines from improved and wild soybean allowed the identification of regions of the soybean genome that have been selected by early farmers and breeders during the domestication and improvement of soybean. This information can be used by scientists to identify important genes related to yield, disease resistance and harvest potential that could be leveraged to further improve the soybean crop, benefitting growers, producers and consumers.

Technical Abstract: Here we report the results of resequencing 481 diverse soybean accessions. The accessions are composed of 52 wild and 429 cultivated (landrace and elite). Highly conserved regions are shown on chromosome 5 and 20, suggesting these regions were selected during domestication. Comparisons of these accessions against the whole US germplasm genotyped with the SoySNP50K SNP chip reveal that over 95% of the resequenced accessions have a high similarity to their SoySNP50K counterpart. The other 5% that did not match their counterpart suggest an error in the source of the seed analyzed.