Page Banner

United States Department of Agriculture

Agricultural Research Service

Title: Marker-Assisted Selection for Extreme Resistance to Potato Virus Y (Rysto gene)

item Ottoman, Ryon
item Hane, Dan
item Brown, Charles - Chuck
item Yilma, Solomon
item Mosley, Alvin
item Gutbrod, Oscar
item Vales, M.isabel

Submitted to: Plant Animal and Microbe Genomes Conference
Publication Type: Abstract Only
Publication Acceptance Date: 10/15/2006
Publication Date: N/A
Citation: N/A

Interpretive Summary:

Technical Abstract: Potato Virus Y (PVY) seriously impacts the vegetative propagation of potato (Solanum tuberosum L). The development of potato varieties with genetic resistance to PVY is one of the best strategies to fight against this disease. Extreme and durable resistance to PVY is desirable for breeding programs. This research explores the use of extreme resistance derived from Solanum stoloniferum (Rysto) mapped to chromosome XII. The usefulness of molecular markers linked to the gene Rysto for determining the allelic configuration is assessed, providing information as to its benefit in predicting PVY resistance. To achieve this, a full-sib population segregating for Rysto was screened with molecular markers, inoculated artificially with PVY and tested by ELISA. From the resistant plant population, 77% showed coincidence with molecular marker results confirmed by ELISA at 40 days after inoculation. Undiscovered PVY resistant gene or genes may explain the remaining 23% is not explained by the markers. Segregation (resistant vs. susceptible) for the ELISA and marker results fit a ratio indicating two independent genes segregating for PVY resistance. Results from molecular markers indicated that one of the alleles providing resistance to PVY is Rysto, the other is unknown. This information was used to screen segregating populations under field conditions. From 622 clones segregating for Rysto, seventeen (2.7%) were selected at the single hill level based on phenotypic criteria (mainly tuber type and shape). Eight of the 17 elections (47%) contained the marker associated with PVY resistance from Rysto.

Last Modified: 08/17/2017
Footer Content Back to Top of Page