Whole Egg Intake and the Mediterranean Diet
Why are we doing this study?
This study will evaluate the daily intake of whole eggs in the Mediterranean Diet (Med Diet). Cholesterol levels are typically related to cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk. Dietary fat and the total diet composition are well recognized modulators of CVD risk. The Mediterranean Diet has been shown to decrease blood lipids (fats) and reduce inflammation. Cholesterol intake from eggs may not be as bad as once thought and, in fact, may help to improve the blood lipid (fat) levels. This study is being done to test how the addition of eggs to a Med Diet affects blood lipids and other risk markers for CVD
This study is being supported by a grant from the Egg Nutrition Center (ENC) and the United States Department of Agriculture.
Who is eligible for this study?
- Males and Females
- 20-75 years of age
- Not planning to gain or lose weight
- Do not exercise regularly
- Willingness and ability to comply with the demands of the experimental protocol
- Do not have untreated high blood pressure
- May not be pregnant or lactating
- May not exhibit an eating disorder
- Not taking medications known to affect appetite, body composition, body weight, blood lipids, or food intake or medications for the treatment of high cholesterol, triglycerides or diabetes (including steroid-based medications, lipid lowering drugs, insulin, and metformin)
What is required of me for this study?
- Fasting for 10 hours prior to testing visits
- No exercise for 72 hours prior to testing
- Consume 3 test diets for 4 weeks each
- Blood Draws
- Complete Questionnaires
Will I get compensated for my time?
You may be compensated as much as $858, or a 20 month individual membership, or a 15 month family membership to Choice Health and Fitness.
Important Information for Non-US Citizens
Please be aware, compensation is offered for study participation. If you are not a United States citizen, you should check your documentation to make sure you can receive money from a non-University source without jeopardizing your status in the United States.