Why are we doing this Study?
People do not eat enough vegetables for health, and it is very difficult to measure how much people are eating. Carotenoids are the brightly-colored pigments in many vegetables and fruits, such as carrots and tomatoes. We can measure carotenoids in the skin of the hand, and are doing this study to see how much juice people have to drink before we can measure a difference in their skin.
Who is eligible for this Study?
- Healthy weight to overweight (BMI 18.5-29.9)
- Weigh at least 110 lbs
- Men and women
- 18 to 65 years of age
- Self-report consuming ≤ 2.0 cups of vegetables/day, excluding fried potatoes
- Healthy (no chronic medical condition such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or lupus) as determined by questionnaire, finger stick blood glucose level (< 200 mg/dl), and blood pressure <130/80.
- Not taking cholesterol or triglyceride-lowering medication
- Non-pregnant and non-lactating
- Not currently dieting or planning to follow a special diet
- Not allergic to tomatoes or vegetables
- If you take dietary supplements, you must be willing to continue your usual routine during the study
- Willing to not tan in the sun or use tanning beds
- Not use tobacco, smoke or vape
- Not drink more than one alcoholic drink per day for women or two for men during the study
- Willing to maintain usual level of exercise for the duration of the study
- Willing to maintain usual diet for the duration of the study
- Willing to consume vegetable juice daily
What is required of me for this study?
- Drink one bottle of tomato-based vegetable juice or water every day
- Have 3 blood draws, fingersticks and blood pressure reading
- Come to the GFHNRC once each week for 8 weeks to have two skin scans
Will I get compensated for my time?
You may be compensated as much as $325 or you can choose a Choice Health and Fitness membership (8 month individual or 6-month family)
Important Information for Non-US Citizens
Please be aware, compensation is offered for study participation. If you are not a United States citizen, you should check your documentation to make sure you can receive money from a non-University source without jeopardizing your status in the United States.
Who can I contact about this study?
If you have more questions please call 701-795-8385 or
Applications are also available online at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZH2WJHB