Mission of the Crop Germplasm Research Unit
This Research Unit reflects the ARS Program Plan of mission-oriented research and is related to needs in areas not addressed by the private sector. Included are integrated studies of:
- the introduction, classification, and maintenance of germplasm,
- elucidation of cellular and molecular DNA characteristics,
- identification of germplasm with useful characteristics such as pest resistance and quality factors,
- determination of genetic control of these characteristics,
- and development of genome mapping and evaluation systems to more efficiently detect and utilize diverse germplasm.