3420 NW Orchard Ave
Corvallis, OR 97330
Our lab focuses on blueberry breeding and genetics at the USDA-ARS Horticultural Crops Research Unit in Corvallis, OR. We develop, trial, and release new blueberry cultivars with high fruit quality and that are well suited to the region. In addition, we’re interested in understanding and incorporating traits that make cultivars more resilient to heat events, cold events, and pest pressures; how new cultivars can play a role in reducing labor such as machine-harvestability; and improving water and nutrient use efficiency for performance under lower input conditions. We also collaborate with other scientists in the Pacific Northwest and around the country and world to answer questions related to berry breeding, genetics, and production.
- C.H. Luby, D. Cornelius, I.L. Goldman. Learning from the Land: Developing a course on Indigenous Foodways. 2021. Natural Sciences Education.
- C. H. Luby, E. Tepe, L. Irish, T. Michaels, E. Hoover. Hands-on Horticulture: Lessons learned teaching online experiential horticulture during COVID-19. 2021. Natural
Sciences Education, 50(2). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nse2.20069
- Ellison, S.*, C.H. Luby*, K. Corak*, K. Coe, D. Senalik, M. Iorizzo, I.L. Goldman, P.W. Simon, J.C. Dawson. 2018. Carotenoid presence is associated with the Or gene in domesticated carrot. Genetics. https://doi.org/10.1534/genetics.118.301299 *These authors contributed equally to this paper
- Luby, C.H., A.B. Endres, M. Wander, C. Ugarte. 2018. A Primer on Plant Breeding and Intellectual Property Rights in Organic Seed Systems. eOrganic, Nov. 28, 2018. https://articles.extension.org/pages/74753/a-primer-on-plant-breeding-and-intellectual-property-rights-in-organic-seed-systems
- Luby, C.H., J.C. Dawson, and I.L. Goldman. 2016. Assessment and accessibility of phenotypic and genotypic diversity of carrot (Daucus carota L. var. sativus) cultivars commercially available in the United States. PLOS One, 11(12): e0167865. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0167865
- Luby, C.H., J.R. Kloppenburg, and I.L. Goldman. 2016. Open source plant breeding and the Open Source Seed Initiative. Plant Breeding Reviews.
- Luby, C.H., and I.L. Goldman. 2016. Improving freedom to operate in carrot breeding through the development of eight open source composite populations of carrot (Daucus carota L. var. sativus). Sustainability, 8(5): 479-493.
- Luby, C.H., and I.L. Goldman. 2016. Freeing Crop Genetics through the Open Source Seed Initiative. PLOS Biology, 14(4).
- Luby, C.H., and I.L. Goldman. 2016. Release of eight open source carrot (Daucus carota L. var. sativa) composite populations developed under organic conditions. HortScience, 51(4): 1-3.
- Luby, C.H., R. Vernon, H.A. Maeda, and I.L. Goldman. 2015. Lack of correspondence between experimentally determined values of vitamin E in carrot (Daucus carota L.) and those reported in the USDA National Nutrient Database. HortScience, 50(10): 1595-1597.
- Luby, C.H., J. Kloppenburg, T.M. Michaels, and I.L. Goldman. 2015. Enhancing freedom to operate for plant breeders and farmers through open source plant breeding. Crop Science, 55 (3): 2481-2488
- Luby C.H., H.A. Maeda, and I.L. Goldman. 2014. Genetic and phenological variation of tocochromanol (vitamin E) content in wild (Daucus carota L. var. carota) and domesticated carrot (D. carota L. var. sativa) Horticulture Research, 1.
- Luby, C.H., A.H. Lyon, and A.C. Shelton. 2013. A new generation of plant breeders discovers fertile ground in organic agriculture. Sustainability, 5(6): 2722-2726.
- Luby, C.H. 2012. The effect of training system and yield on fruit quality of ‘Marquette’ and ‘La Crescent’ wine grapes in a Vermont vineyard. Journal of the American Pomological Society, 66(1): 34-38.
- (Clicking on the reprint icon will take you to the publication reprint.)
- There and back again; historical perspective and future directions for Vaccinium breeding and research studies -(Peer Reviewed Journal)
Edger, P.P., Iorizzo, M., Bassil, N.V., Benevenuto, J., Ferrao, L.F., Giongo, L., Hummer, K.E., Lawas, L.F., Leisner, C.P., Li, C., Munoz, P., Ashrafi, H., Atucha, A., Babiker, E.M., Canales, E., Chagne, D., Devetter, L., Ehlenfeldt, M.K., Espley, R.V., Gallardo, K., Gunther, C.S., Hardigan, M.A., Hulse-Kemp, A.M., Jacobs, M.L., Lila, M., Luby, C.H., Main, D., Mengist, M.F., Owens, G.L., Perkins-Veazie, P., Polashock, J.J., Pottorff, M., Rowland, L.J., Sims, C.A., Song, G., Spencer, J., Vorsa, N., Yocca, A.E., Zalapa, J.E. 2022. There and back again; historical perspective and future directions for Vaccinium breeding and research studies. Horticulture Research. https://doi.org/10.1093/hr/uhac083.
Genetic Improvement of Blackberry, Red and Black Raspberry, Blueberry, and Strawberry In-House Appropriated (D) Accession Number:434214 No news articles listed for this employee.