Fungicide Treatments for Pearl Millet Seed
The following treatments for pearl millet seed are used at ICRISAT* Center (Ahmed and Reddy 1993).
Recommended seed treatment to prevent transmission of downy mildew
- Soak seed for 10 min with 0.1-percent HgCl2 followed by several rinses in running water.
- Transfer seed to hot water bath at 55 °C for 12 min.
- Transfer seed to water at room temperature for a few minutes, then transfer to incubator at 35 °C for 12 hr and then at 40 °C for 1 hr.
- Immerse seed in suspension of 2 g metalaxyl in 800 ml of 1-percent aqueous methyl cellulose for 5 to 6 hr (sufficient for 1 kg dry pearl millet seed).
- Allow seed to dry. Treated seed can be sown immediately or up to 4 months after treatment.
Recommended seed treatment for other pathogens
- 2.5 g benomyl + thiram (1:1) per kg of seed.
United States Department of Agriculture
Agricultural Research Service
The material on this page is in the public domain.
Original posting: June 5, 1999.