Two days of dietary intake data are available.
- Day 1 is collected in person in the Mobile Examination Center. The Day 1 files include:
- 9,255 individuals with a complete intake
- 137 breastfed infants
- Day 2 is collected by telephone 3 to 10 days later. The Day 2 files include:
- 7,838 individuals with a complete intake
- 123 breastfed infants
Data File Descriptions
Four dietary intake files are available.
- Individual Foods Files: DR1IFF_E (Day 1) and DR2IFF_E (Day 2)
The Individual Foods Files include, for each interview day, one record for each food consumed by a participant. Each record identifies the intake day of week, the time and name of the eating occasion for the food, and the following food-specific data:
- Food, identified by a USDA food code
- Whether food was eaten in combination with other foods (for example, milk added to cereal)
- Amount of food consumed
- Amounts of food energy and 64 nutrients/food components provided by the food amount
- Total Nutrient Intakes Files: DR1TOT_E (Day 1) and DR2IFF_E (Day 2)
The Total Nutrient Intakes Files contain, for each interview day, one record for each participant. Each record includes daily total intakes of food energy and 64 nutrients/food components, daily intake of water, and whether the amount of food consumed was usual, much more than usual, or much less than usual. The Day 1 file also includes information on salt use, whether the participant is on a special diet (weight loss, low carbohydrate, etc.), and frequency of fish and shellfish consumption for population subsets.
- Sample weights specific to the dietary intake data adjust for (a) the additional non-response and (b) the differential allocation by day of the week for the dietary intake data collection.
- Two sets of weights-Day 1 weights (WTDRD1) are to be applied to Day 1 data; two-day weights (WTDR2D) are to be applied when both days are used (Day 1 and Day 2).
- Read about the dietary intake sample weights in the analytical notes section of the documentation.