Page Banner

United States Department of Agriculture

Agricultural Research Service

Frequently asked questions about fungi
headline bar

What's growing in my home?

The Systematic Mycology and Microbiology Laboratory does not have the expertise to efficiently handle questions about indoor air quality, indoor molds, medical mycology, etc. The following sites provide in-depth information on these subjects:

Doctor Fungus - resource for descriptions of fungi and the infections they may cause in people, animals, and plants; also covers environmental infestations due to fungi

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - mold resources

Fungi in Buildings - fungi commonly identified in outdoor air and in North American buildings

Abbey Lane Laboratory, LLC - building contamination, mold identification services

What's growing in my yard?

The following organizations provide identification services:

University of Maryland Cooperative Extension's Home and Garden Information Center - contact a horticulture consultant by phone or email

Agricultural Extension Services in other states

Mycological Association of Washington, DC (MAW) - nonprofit association whose purpose is to disseminate a reliable body of knowledge regarding fungi

What information about fungi is available for kids?

Fun Facts about Fungi - educational site from the Utah State University Intermountain Herbarium

Attack of the Killer Fungus - story of good fungus, bad fungus, and their effect on farmers

Where can I go for more information about fungi?

WWW Virtual Library: Mycology - extensive directory of mycological resources on the internet.

Last Modified: 8/13/2016
Footer Content Back to Top of Page