Research Physical Scientist
USDA-ARS Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory
Bldg. 007, Rm. 104, BARC-West
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
Voice: (301) 504-9109
Fax: (301) 504-8931
- Research in the area of land surface hydrology and microwave remote sensing of soil moisture.
- Optimal merging of model and satellite estimates through data assimilation for improved rootzone soil moisture and crop yield monitoring.
- 2009 Ph.D. Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.
- 2006 M.S. Department of Life and Earth Sciences, Free University, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- 10/09 - Present: Research Physical Scientist, USDA-ARS-Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Beltsville, MD.
- 05/06 - 10/09: Research Assistant, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.
- 01/08 - 03/08: Visiting Research Assistant, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- 11/04 - 04/06: Visiting Scientist, USDA-ARS-Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Beltsville, MD.
- USC, Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences, Taber Award for Graduate Research Honorable Mention, Apr. 2009.
- JCSDA, Summer Colloquium on Data Assimilation, Jul. 7-17, 2009, awarded full financial support.
- USC, Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences, Departmental Award, 2006-2008.
- 2007 - Present: American Geophysical Union
- 2008 - Present: IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing
Selected Publications:(please contact the author to determine reprint availability)
( view author's publications/interpretive summaries/technical abstracts since 1999)
I. E. Mladenova, T. J. Jackson, R. Bindlish, S. Hensley, Incidence angle correction of radar backscatter data, in progress. R. Magagi, ..., I. E. Mladenova, ..., Canadian Experiment for Soil Moisture in 2010 (CanEX-SM10): Overview and Preliminary Results, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, in press. I. E. Mladenova, V. Lakshmi, T. J. Jackson, J. P. Walker, O. Merlin, R. de Jeu, Validation of AMSR-E soil moisture using L-band airborne radiometer data from National Airborne Field Experiment 2006, Remote Sensing of Environment, 115(8): 2096-2103, Aug. 2011. I. E. Mladenova, W. Crow, W. Teng, P. Doraiswamy, S. Milak, Potential for improved crop yield prediction through assimilation of satellite-derived soil moisture, Red Book Proc., Remote Sensing and Hydrology Symposium, 2010. W. Teng, R. de Jeu, P. Doraiswamy, S. Kempler, I. E. Mladenova, and H. Shannon, Improving world agricultural supply and demand estimates by integrating NASA remote sensing soil moisture data into USDA World Agricultural Outlook Board decision making environment, ASPRS Conference Proc., 2010. I. E. Mladenova, V. Lakshmi, J. Walker, R. Panciera, W. Wagner, and M. Doubkova, Validation of the ASAR Global Monitoring Mode Soil Moisture Product Using the NAFE`05 Data Set, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 48(6): 2498-2508, Mar. 2010. I. E. Mladenova, V. Lakshmi, J. Walker, D. Long and R. de Jeu, An Assessment of QuikSCAT Ku-band Data for Soil Moisture Sensitivity, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 6(4): 640-643, Jun. 2009. I. E. Mladenova, and V. Lakshmi, Terrain: Slope Influence on QuikSCAT Backscatter, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 47(8): 2722-2732, May 2009. I. E. Mladenova, V. Lakshmi, T. Jackson, and J. Walker, Ku-band Sensitivity to Soil Moisture. An Evaluation Study for Monitoring Temporal Soil Moisture Change Detection over the NAFE06 Study Area, in Proc. IGARSS, Boston, Jul. 6-11, 2008. R. Panciera, J. P. Walker, E. Kim, I. E. Mladenova, Application of a Bayesian Approach for Downscaling of SMOS Observations, in Proc. IGARSS, Boston, Jul. 6-11, 2008. R. Bindlish, T. J. Jackson, A. Gasiewski, B. Stankov, M. Klein, M. H. Cosh, I. E. Mladenova, C. Watts, E. Vivoni, V. Lakshmi, J. Bolten, and T. Keefer, Aircraft based soil moisture retrievals under mixed vegetation and topographic conditions, Remote Sensing of Environment, 112(2): 379-390, 2008. J. P. Walker, ..., I. E. Mladenova, ..., The National Airborne Field Experiment Data Sets, 2007 International Congress on Modelling and Simulation, Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand, MODSIM, Dec. 2007.