Research Agricultural Engineer
USDA, ARS, NEA, BARC, EMFSL
10300 Baltimore Ave.
Building 303 BARC-East, Room 012
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
phone: 301.504.8450 ext 260
Hyperspectral and multispectral imaging technologies to assess safety and quality of agricultural produce and poultry carcasses. Development of nondestructive high-speed line scan imaging inspection systems using multispectral reflectance and Raman chemical imaging technologies.
Publications and Patents
See recent publications by Kevin Chao listed by publication year, 2000-2014. Full-text reprints for some can be downloaded in PDF format.
A list of publications drawn from the ARS database for Kevin Chao is also available, with access to an abstract/summary for each publication.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Bannon, D. Method of determining histamine concentration in fish. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. September 2013.
- (Pending)Chao, K., Kim, M.S., and Qin, J. Line-scan Raman imaging method and apparatus for rapid evaluation of large samples. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted October 2013.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Cho, B.K., and Lee, K. Single-camera multi-mirror imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. March 2013.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Lefcourt, A., Lee, K., Kang, S., and Chan, D. Single-camera angled conveyance imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. March 2013.
- Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Kim, M.S., Chan, E., and Yang, C. Method and system for wholesomeness inspection of freshly slaughtered chickens on a processing line. US Patent # 8,625,856. USPTO, January 7, 2014.
- Chao, K., Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, Tuschel, D., Olkhovyk, O, and Liu, Y. Systems and Methods for Detecting Contaminants in a Sample. US Patent #, 8,467,052. USPTO, June 18, 2013(patent pending).
- Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A., Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Senecal, A., Marek, P. Hand-held inspection tool and method. US Patent #8,310,544 B2. USPTO, Nov 7, 2012.
- Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Kim, M.S., Chan, E., and Yang, C. Method and system for wholesomeness inspection of freshly slaughtered chickens on a processing line. US Patent # 8,126,213. USPTO, Feb. 28, 2012.
- Kim, M.S., Chen, Y., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M. Simultaneous acquisition of fluorescence and reflectance imaging techniques with a single imaging device for multitask inspection. US Patent # 7,787,111, USPTO. Aug. 31, 2010.
2014 Publications (peer-reviewed)
- Chao, K., Kim, M.S., and Chan, D., Control Interface and Tracking Control System for Automated Poultry Inspection. Computers Standards and Interfaces, 36 (2): 271-277. 2014.
- Lee, H.Y., Everard, C., Kang, S., Cho, B.K., Chao, K., Chan, D., and Kim, M.S. Multispectral fluorescence imaging for detection of bovine feces on Romaine lettuce and baby spinach leaves. Biosystems Engineering, in press. 2014.
- Lee, H.Y., Yang, C.C., Kim, M.S., Lim, J., Cho, B., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M., and Everard, C. A simple multispectral imaging algorithm for detection of defects on Red Delicious apples. J. of Biosystems Engineering, 39(2):142-149. 2014.
- Qin, J., Chao, K., and Kim, M.S. A line-scan hyperspectral system for high-throughput Raman chemical imaging. Applied Spectroscopy. 68 (6): 692-695. 2014.
- Qin, J., Chao, K., Kim, M.S., Lee, H.Y., and Peng, Y. Development of a Raman chemical imaging detection method for authenticating skim milk powder. J. Food Measurement and Characterization, 8 (2): 122-131. 2014. doi:10.1007/s11694-014-9172-9
- Schmidt, W.F., Hapeman, C. J., McConnell, L. L., Mookherji, S., Nguyen, J.K., Qin, J., Lee, H., Chao, K., and Kim, M.S. Temperature-dependent Raman spectroscopic evidence of and molecular mechanism for irreversible isomerization of ?-endosulfan to ?-endosulfan. J. Ag. Food Chem., 62:2023-2030. 2014. doi:10.1021/jf404404w
- Schmidt, W.F., Broadhurst, C.L., Qin, J., Lee, H., Nguyen, J.K., Chao, K., Shelton, D.R., and Kim, M.S. Temperature dependent Raman spectroscopy of melamine and structural analogs in milk powder. Applied Spectroscopy, in press. 2014.