Research Agricultural Engineer
USDA, ARS, NEA, BARC, EMFSL
10300 Baltimore Ave.
Building 303 BARC-East, Room 012
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
phone: 301.504.8450 ext 260
Hyperspectral and multispectral imaging technologies to assess safety and quality of agricultural produce and poultry carcasses. Development of nondestructive high-speed line scan imaging inspection systems using multispectral reflectance and Raman chemical imaging technologies.
Publications and Patents
See recent publications by Kevin Chao listed by publication year, 2000-2014. Full-text reprints for some can be downloaded in PDF format.
A list of publications drawn from the ARS database for Kevin Chao is also available, with access to an abstract/summary for each publication.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Bannon, D. Method of determining histamine concentration in fish. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. September 2013.
- (Pending)Chao, K., Kim, M.S., and Qin, J. Line-scan Raman imaging method and apparatus for rapid evaluation of large samples. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted October 2013.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Cho, B.K., and Lee, K. Single-camera multi-mirror imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. March 2013.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Lefcourt, A., Lee, K., Kang, S., and Chan, D. Single-camera angled conveyance imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. March 2013.
- Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Kim, M.S., Chan, E., and Yang, C. Method and system for wholesomeness inspection of freshly slaughtered chickens on a processing line. US Patent # 8,625,856. USPTO, January 7, 2014.
- Chao, K., Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, Tuschel, D., Olkhovyk, O, and Liu, Y. Systems and Methods for Detecting Contaminants in a Sample. US Patent #, 8,467,052. USPTO, June 18, 2013 (patent pending).
- Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A., Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Senecal, A., Marek, P. Hand-held inspection tool and method. US Patent #8,310,544 B2. USPTO, Nov 7, 2012.
- Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Kim, M.S., Chan, E., and Yang, C. Method and system for wholesomeness inspection of freshly slaughtered chickens on a processing line. US Patent # 8,126,213. USPTO, Feb. 28, 2012.
- Kim, M.S., Chen, Y., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M. Simultaneous acquisition of fluorescence and reflectance imaging techniques with a single imaging device for multitask inspection. US Patent # 7,787,111, USPTO. Aug. 31, 2010.
2014 Publications (peer-reviewed)
- Chao, K., Kim, M.S., and Chan, D., Control Interface and Tracking Control System for Automated Poultry Inspection. Computers Standards and Interfaces, 36 (2): 271-277. 2014.
- Lee, H.Y., Everard, C., Kang, S., Cho, B.K., Chao, K., Chan, D., and Kim, M.S. Multispectral fluorescence imaging for detection of bovine feces on Romaine lettuce and baby spinach leaves. Biosystems Engineering, in press. 2014.
- Lee, H.Y., Yang, C.C., Kim, M.S., Lim, J., Cho, B., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M., and Everard, C. A simple multispectral imaging algorithm for detection of defects on Red Delicious apples. J. of Biosystems Engineering, 39(2):142-149. 2014.
- Qin, J., Chao, K., and Kim, M.S. A line-scan hyperspectral system for high-throughput Raman chemical imaging. Applied Spectroscopy. 68 (6): 692-695. 2014.
- Qin, J., Chao, K., Kim, M.S., Lee, H.Y., and Peng, Y. Development of a Raman chemical imaging detection method for authenticating skim milk powder. J. Food Measurement and Characterization, 8 (2): 122-131. 2014. doi:10.1007/s11694-014-9172-9
- Schmidt, W.F., Hapeman, C. J., McConnell, L. L., Mookherji, S., Nguyen, J.K., Qin, J., Lee, H., Chao, K., and Kim, M.S. Temperature-dependent Raman spectroscopic evidence of and molecular mechanism for irreversible isomerization of ?-endosulfan to ?-endosulfan. J. Ag. Food Chem., 62:2023-2030. 2014. doi:10.1021/jf404404w
- Schmidt, W.F., Broadhurst, C.L., Qin, J., Lee, H., Nguyen, J.K., Chao, K., Shelton, D.R., and Kim, M.S. Temperature dependent Raman spectroscopy of melamine and structural analogs in milk powder. Applied Spectroscopy, in press. 2014.
Environmental Microbial and Food Safety Laboratory
Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, MD 20705
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service