Alan M Lefcourt
USDA, ARS, NEA, BARC, EMFSL
10300 Baltimore Ave.
Building 303 BARC-East, Room 021A
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
phone: 301.504.8450 ext 258
Hyperspectral and multispectral imaging technologies to enhance safety and quality of fruits and vegetables, and investigation of native biofilm forming bacteria in fresh produce processing plants with regard to the risk of pathogen transfer to products. Current projects include development of on-line systems for inspection of produce for quality issues and contaminants, portable systems for monitoring the efficacy of cleaning and sanitation procedures, and laser-induced, time-resolved, fluorescence imaging systems for detecting fecal material and signs of animal intrusion in produce fields.
Publications and Patents
Click here to see selected publications by Alan Lefcourt listed by publication year, 2001-2014. Full-text reprints for some can be downloaded in PDF format.
A list of publications drawn from the ARS database for Alan Lefcourt is also available, with access to an abstract/summary for each publication.
- Chao, K., Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A.M., Tuschel, D., Olkhovyk, O, and Liu, Y. Systems and Methods for Detecting Contaminants in a Sample. US Patent #, 8,467,052. USPTO, June 18, 2013.
- Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A.M., Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Senecal, A., Marek, P. Hand-held inspection tool and method. US Patent #8,310,544 B2. USPTO, Nov 7, 2012.
- Kim, M.S., Chen, Y., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M. Simultaneous acquisition of fluorescence and reflectance imaging techniques with a single imaging device for multitask inspection. US Patent # 7,787,111, USPTO. Aug. 31, 2010.
- Lefcourt, A.M., Kim, M.S., and Chen, Y.R. Use of Nanosecond Scale, Time-Resolved, Imaging to Differentiate Contemporaneous Fluorescence Responses For Multiple Substances. US Patent, #7,547,508. USPTO. June 16, 2009.
- Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A.M., and Chen, Y.R. Method to detect exposed bone fragments during processing of meat or fish. US Patent #7,460,227, USPTO. Dec. 2, 2008.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Lefcourt, A.M., Lee, K., Kang, S., and Chan, D. Single-camera angled conveyance imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. March 2013.
- Lee, H.Y., Yang, C.C., Kim, M.S., Lim, J., Cho, B., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M., and Everard, C. A simple multispectral imaging algorithm for detection of defects on Red Delicious apples. J. of Biosystems Engineering, 39(2):142-149. 2014. doi:10.5307/JBE.2014.39.2.142
- Shilts, P., Motabar, P., Lefcourt, A.M., Kim, M.S., and Tasch, U. Homogenization optics to improve detectability of a fluorescence response to a single laser pulse: Detection of feces on apples. Trans. ASABE 57(2): 615-622. 2014. doi:10.13031/trans.57.10443
Environmental Microbial and Food Safety Laboratory
Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, MD 20705
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service