- To advise and educate ARS managers, supervisors and employees on strategies and opportunities to increase workforce diversity and equal opportunity.
- To meet national targets/goals on diversity set by the executive branch, the department of Agriculture and the agency (ARS).
- To increase ARS visibility through outreach activities.
- Determine the current needs of the location relative to meeting diversity targets.
- Identify local, state, and national programs that can provide support in hiring and training minority individuals.
- A minimum of ten members from whom the President and Vice-president are elected. The Secretary/Treasurer is a volunteer.
- Members are designated by the research leaders - three per unit and one member from the Administrative Office. In addition to the 10 appointed members, volunteer members have voting rights upon approval by the committee.
- Meetings are open to all employees.
- Six attending members will form a quorum for voting purposes.
- If a quorum is not achieved, voting by email is allowed.
- No term limits.
- Members may request to be removed from the committee during the December quarterly meeting.
- Both incoming and outgoing members will attend the March meeting.
- Election of officers will occur at the March meeting.
- Held quarterly in December, March, June, and September. Time, date, and location announced at the preceding meeting.
- Purpose is to recognize employees at the Corvallis location for exemplary achievements in promoting a diverse workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation; and for their demonstrated commitment to workforce diversity through actions that clearly exceed responsibilities of their positions or assignments in ARS.
- Research leaders from each unit will nominate one individual for the annual award and every employee can submit a nomination as well. A volunteer award panel will choose the award winner from the nominees.
updated October, 2012