This page provides access to Release 25 of the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. You can either view the data here or download the data files and documentation in several different formats for use on your computer. An online search is also provided so you can look up the nutrient content of 8,176 different foods directly from this home page. Search programs for the PC are also available.
Note: If you downloaded SR25 before October 9, 2012, we found that a few food items on Australian beef, lamb, and veal were inadvertently left out. You will need to download the database again to obtain these data.
An error regarding the caffeine values of NDB No. 14627, Energy Drink, Monster has been corrected. A patch with the correction and further information is available.
The suggested citation for this database is:
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2012. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 25. Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page, http://www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/ndl
- Search the database online
- Ground beef calculator
- Download software to search the SR database, without access to the Internet.
- Individual food reports of all the foods in the database--includes scientific name, refuse, and nutrient content.
- Nutrient lists for selected foods and nutrients. These lists are sorted either by food description or in descending order by nutrient content in terms of common household measures.
You will need the Adobe® Reader® viewer to view these reports. These reports can also be downloaded to your PC and/or printed on your printer.
- Download the database for use on your computer with various software packages.
- SR25 documentation describing all the files, their fields and relationships accompanies the database and can be viewed online.
SR25 Data Files (ASCII)
Food Description File (1,250Kb)
Food Group File(1Kb)
Langual Factor File (649Kb)
Langual Factors Description File (22Kb)
Nutrient Data File(34,069Kb)
Nutrient Definition File(7Kb)
Source Code File(1Kb)
Derivation Code File(6Kb)
Sources of Data File(80Kb)
Data Source Link File(4,108Kb)
Updates to Earlier Releases
These files are for those users who have built their own database and wish to perform their own updates: