Page Banner

United States Department of Agriculture

Agricultural Research Service

Title: Overview of Activities at the Usda/ars Stuttgart National Aquaculture Research Center

Authors
item Freeman, Donald
item Straus, David

Submitted to: Investigational New Animal Drugs Meeting - Book of Abstracts
Publication Type: Abstract Only
Publication Acceptance Date: May 15, 2003
Publication Date: July 30, 2003
Citation: FREEMAN, D.W., STRAUS, D.L. OVERVIEW OF ACTIVITIES AT THE USDA/ARS STUTTGART NATIONAL AQUACULTURE RESEARCH CENTER. INVESTIGATIONAL NEW ANIMAL DRUGS MEETING - BOOK OF ABSTRACTS. 2003. v.9. p.D1-D16.

Technical Abstract: The mission of the Harry K. Dupree Stuttgart National Aquaculture Research Center is to conduct aquaculture research to address the highest priority needs of the U.S. aquaculture industry. The Center's research programs focus primarily in three areas: 1) Production Systems Research including development of feeds and improved culture strategies for warm-water fish species, other than catfish, such as hybrid striped bass, baitfish, ornamental fish and carp; 2) Disease Therapeutics Evaluation and Registration Research for catfish, trout, tilapia, baitfish, and hybrid striped bass; and 3) Bird Depredation Research including development of practical dispersal and barrier technologies for control of fish-eating birds on fish farms. The Harry K. Dupree Stuttgart National Aquaculture Center was authorized by The Fish Rice Rotation Act of 1958, under the name U.S Fish Farming Experiment Laboratory, U.S. Department of the Interior. In 1958, 86 acres of land were purchased near Stuttgart, Arkansas. In 1961, an office building, laboratory, garage and fish-holding facility were constructed. The FFEL was officially dedicated October 21, 1962. Additional construction resulted in 86 ponds (ranging in size from 0.1-3.0 acres), a wet laboratory building, a garage and two buildings for chemical and oil storage. In 1992, a state-of-the-art 18,000 ft² laboratory was added to increase the research capability of the facility. In 1996, Congress transferred the Center to the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture as part of the Farm Bill.

Last Modified: 4/19/2014
Footer Content Back to Top of Page