Submitted to: Meeting Abstract
Publication Type: Abstract Only
Publication Acceptance Date: January 1, 2002
Publication Date: March 1, 2002
Citation: Behall, K.M., Scholfield, D.J., Hallfrisch, J.G. 2002. Effect of two levels of b-glucan from barley on plasma lipids of moderately hypercholesterolemic men. faseb 2002, new orleans, la; april 20-24, 2002. Meeting Abstract. Technical Abstract: Cardiovascular disease remains a major problem in the US even though fat intake has declined in response to recommendations of health organizations. Oats, high in soluble fiber, have been recognized as beneficial in decreasing blood cholesterol levels. Barley also has high amounts of soluble fiber but has not been utilized extensively in the US diet. This study investigated whether results similar to that of oats could be obtained with consumption of barley. After institutional review and approval, 18 men (23-45 body mass index; 28-62 y) initially consumed a step 1 diet. Diets containing either low levels of soluble fiber (low), 3 g (mid) or 6 g (high)/day soluble fiber from barley-containing foods were then fed for 5 weeks each in a Latin square design. Energy intake was adjusted to maintain initial body weights. Lipids were determined in two separate fasting blood samples. Compared to pre-study values, total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and triacylglycerol were 4%, 11% and 3% lower, respectively, following the step I diet. Total cholesterol was significantly lower (14%, 17% and 20%, respectively), triacylglycerol was 6%, 10% and 16% lower while HDL cholesterol was higher (9%, 7% and 18%) after the low, mid and high soluble fiber diets compared to pre-study values. Consumption of barley containing foods significantly improved several cardiovascular risk factors and appeared to be as effective as consumption of oats.