Title: A history of the Fish Farming Experimental Laboratory in Stuttgart, Arkansas and the transfer to the USDA/ARS Harry K. Dupree - Stuttgart National Aquaculture Research Center Authors
Submitted to: Book of Abstracts Aquaculture America
Publication Type: Abstract Only
Publication Acceptance Date: November 28, 2012
Publication Date: February 21, 2013
Citation: Straus, D.L., Mitchell, A.J., Ludwig, G.M., Carter, R.R. 2013. A history of the Fish Farming Experimental Laboratory in Stuttgart, Arkansas and the transfer to the USDA/ARS Harry K. Dupree - Stuttgart National Aquaculture Research Center[abstract]. Book of Abstracts Aquaculture America 2013: Strike a Chord for Sustainable Aquaculture, February 21-25, 2013, Nashville, Tennessee. p.1058. Technical Abstract: In 1958, Congress enacted the Fish Rice Rotation Act that directed the Secretary of the Interior (in cooperation with USDA) to develop a program to solve problems related to production and harvest of warmwater fish. The idea was to establish a program to grow fish on flooded rice acreage in rotation with rice field crops. The Fish Farming Experimental Laboratory (FFEL) located east of Stuttgart, Arkansas opened in July of 1961 and was dedicated in October the following year. (The buildings and ponds are pictured at right). Besides research, employees devoted at least 25% of their time to diagnostics and extension. The current main building was dedicated to the FFEL in August of 1992. The FFEL was responsible for developing much of the early technologies for warmwater aquaculture. Some of the prominent researchers over the years include: Walt Hastings (Nutritionist), Jon Stanley (Geneticist), Fred Meyer (Parasitologist), Glenn Hoffman (Parasitologist), Harry Dupree (Nutritionist), Billy Griffin (Microbiologist), Jerry Ludwig (Fisheries Biologist) and Drew Mitchell (Parasitologist). The FFEL was transferred to the USDA-ARS in October of 1996 and the lab was renamed the Stuttgart National Aquaculture Research Center (SNARC). By 1998, diagnostic activities ended and most extension activities ceased because they fell outside the mission of ARS. The station was renamed after Harry K. Dupree (pictured at right) in 1999.