Page Banner

United States Department of Agriculture

Agricultural Research Service

Research Project: Production Management Research For Horticultural Crops in the Gulf South

Location: Southern Horticultural Research

Title: Maronutrient distribution in 'Tifblue' rabbiteye blueberry

Authors
item Spiers, James -
item Marshall, Donna

Submitted to: International Journal of Fruit Science
Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal
Publication Acceptance Date: January 20, 2012
Publication Date: March 14, 2012
Citation: Spiers, J., Marshall, D.A. 2012. Maronutrient distribution in 'Tifblue' rabbiteye blueberry. International Journal of Fruit Science. 12:1-3,48-53.

Interpretive Summary: This study was developed and initiated to determine the nutrient distribution within a ‘Tifblue’ rabbiteye blueberry. Rooted cuttings were potted into 3.8 liter containers and placed into a completely randomized design on a covered bench. Plants were divided evenly into 3 groups for low, high and control fertilization. At the end of the growing season the plants were divided into: leaves, upper stems, lower stems, trunk, root ball, and fine roots. Mineral analysis was preformed and mineral distribution determined. Approximately 25% of nitrogen in blueberry plants is found in the leaves, with the remaining 75% being distributed evenly throughout the more woody partitions. Phosphorus is also found at 23% in the leaves and distributed evenly throughout the rest of the plant. Yet, potassium is found at a much higher concentration in the leaves at 47%. Mineral distribution varied very little with the rate of fertilization, but varied greatly with the part of plant. This research can be used by other researchers, as well as industry. Fertilization companies can use the results of this research to adjust and tailor the fertilization mixtures for blueberry plants.

Technical Abstract: This study was developed and initiated to determine the nutrient distribution within a ‘Tifblue’ rabbiteye blueberry. Rooted cuttings were potted into 3.8 liter containers and placed into a completely randomized design on a covered bench. Plants were divided evenly into 3 groups for low, high and control fertilization. At the end of the growing season the plants were divided into: leaves, upper stems, lower stems, trunk, root ball, and fine roots. Mineral analysis was preformed and mineral distribution determined. Approximately 25% of nitrogen in blueberry plants is found in the leaves, with the remaining 75% being distributed evenly throughout the more woody partitions. Phosphorus is also found at 23% in the leaves and distributed evenly throughout the rest of the plant. Yet, potassium is found at a much higher concentration in the leaves at 47%. Mineral distribution varied very little with the rate of fertilization, but varied greatly with the part of plant.

Last Modified: 4/20/2014
Footer Content Back to Top of Page