Fy2013 Agreement U.S. Department of Agriculture – Agricultural Research Service & the U.S. Department of State Biosecurity Engagement Program
Project Number: 0210-22310-004-93
Start Date: Aug 15, 2013
End Date: Sep 30, 2015
The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) will support the Department of State’s Biosecurity Engagement Program (BEP) mission through scientific cooperation in agricultural research to:
• Reduce the potential for dual-use application of biological sciences and technologies, particularly by terrorists and proliferant states;
• Support U.S. efforts to counter biological terrorism;
• Improve international bioscience laboratory capacity through research projects on infectious diseases that will lead to improved surveillance, diagnostics and disease control;
• Build science, technology and research sustainability; and
• Support long-term proliferation threat reduction.
ARS’s programs advance agricultural science by establishing new expertise in BEP targeted countries, helping to improve the economy of BEP countries through advances in agricultural science and technology, and while enhancing the effectiveness and productivity of ARS research programs.
The Office of International Research Programs (OIRP) of ARS, in coordination with the State Department’s Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation/Cooperative Threat Reduction Office (ISN/CTR), will provide program management and administrative approval and oversight to ensure that all collaborations are consistent with ARS objectives and U.S. foreign policy. OIRP will work with additional relevant partners to engage scientific experts in agricultural research, development, monitoring and surveillance. Specifically, USDA - ARS is requested to provide support for BEP in South and Southeast Asia, the Former Soviet Union, and Egypt.