CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE FUTURE OF ANIMAL SCIENCE RESEARCH
Project Number: 0208-32000-001-62
Start Date: Sep 21, 2012
End Date: Sep 20, 2013
Recognizing this challenge and the increasing global demand for animal products, an ad hoc committee hosted by the National Academies will identify critical research and development (R&D), technology, and resource needs in the field of animal agriculture.
This study will identify considerations related to the future of animal sciences research, including:
• Assessing global demand for products of animal origin in 2050 within the framework of ensuring global food security;
• Evaluating how climate change and limited natural resources may impact the ability to meet future global demand for animal products within sustainable production systems;
• Identifying factors that may impact domestic ability to meet demand for animal products, including the need for trained human capital, new knowledge and technologies;
• Identify resources needed to develop and disseminate this knowledge and technology; and
• Qualify the evolution of sustainable animal production systems relevant to production and production efficiency metrics.
The report will also address the role of governments, nongovernmental organizations, and the private sector in developing partnerships and leveraging these resources to further the field of animal agriculture.