IMPLEMENTATION OF WHOLE GENOME SELECTION IN THE U.S. DAIRY AND BEEF CATTLE INDUSTRIES
Project Number: 1265-31000-098-39
Start Date: Apr 01, 2011
End Date: Aug 31, 2012
1) Use the BovineSNP50 assay to provide high-accuracy predictions of genetic merit to U.S. dairy and beef breeds; 2) Enable the adoption of WGEAS by developing low-density and low-cost SNP assays for: a) intermediate-accuracy genetic prediction, b) mate selection, and c) parentage verification and traceability; 3) Develop, adapt and optimize statistical metodologies to: a) fully integrate SNP genotype or haplotype effects into existing genetic evaluation technologies, and b) supplement or replace pedigree data; and 4)Collaborate and coordinate U.S. and European Union WGEAS activities.
1. Collect genotypic data using the bovineSNP50 in both dairy and beef cattle breeding programs.
2. Develop statistical algorithms needed to implement whole genome enabled animal selection specific to dairy and beef cattle populations as needed.
3. Determine subset of markers needed for low density SNP assay for application to parentage verification and reduced accuracy genetic prediction.
4. Collaborate with many organizations to utilize data generated by this project as well as other projects to obtain maximum utilization of resources generated.