MAPPING AND SEQUENCING OF CHR. 2H BIN 10 FHB RESISTANCE QTL FOR GENE DISCOVERY
Project Number: 0500-00053-003-11
Start Date: May 21, 2009
End Date: May 20, 2013
Project #1: Facilitate the development of malting barley cultivars with commercially acceptable FHB resistance; working to clone the gene (or genes) responsible for the major Fusarium Head Blight (FHB) resistance quantitative trait locus (QTL) found on barley chromosome 2(2H) bin 10. This is a long-term goal and a more immediate goal is to develop a saturated genetic and physical map of the region.
Project #2: Identify and characterize the gene(s) responsible for the chr. 2H bin10 Fusarium Head Blight resistance QTL.
Project #1: 1) develop a saturated genetic and physical map of the chromosome 2(2H) FHB QTL region with emphasis on bin 10; 2) test mutants selected in previous grant years for resistance to FHB. Make appropriate crosses to integrate the earliness, semi-dwarf and 6-rowed traits into a single FHB resistant parent for use in breeding; 3) screen the 2007 mutagenized population of CI4196 for additional mutants particularly 6-rowed and intermedium types; and 4) continue evaluating for FHB resistance and improving recombinant lines.
1. Sequence 24 BAC clones from the chr. 2H bin10 region in the first year;
2. Analyze the sequence to identify putative genes;
3. Confirm and extend the BAC contigs as needed;
4. Sequence 24 additional BAC clones in the second year;
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3; and
6. Analyze putative resistance gene orthologs in CI4196.