COMBINING YELLOW DWARF VIRUS, FUSARIUM HEAD BLIGHT, UG99 STEM AND STRIPE RUST RESISTANCE GENES IN SOFT WINTER WHEAT ADAPTED TO EASTERN USA
Functional Foods Research Unit
Project Number: 3620-43000-007-02
Specific Cooperative Agreement
Start Date: Jul 28, 2008
End Date: Jul 14, 2012
1) Move Bdv2 from wheat chromosome 7D to chromosome 7A or 7B.
2) Combine Bdv3 and Qfhs.pur-7E.
3) Characterize F2:3 families from the cross PI410996(resistant) x P9762(susceptible) to determine the inheritance of resistance to stem rust and map the resistance.
4) Characterize F2:3 families from the cross PI163050(resistant) x P9762(susceptible) to characterize and map resistance to stripe rust, and
5) Develop soft winter wheat cultivars that have Bdv2, Bdv3, Qfhs.pur-7EL, and resistance to stem rust and stripe rust.
Genetic improvement of wheat for stem rust resistance and stripe rust resistance using genetic markers and traditional plant breeding methods. Varieties that have demonstrated increased resistance will be crossed with wheat varieties that are in current commercial use.