1a.Objectives (from AD-416):
The objective of this project is to develop a reliable pheromone lure for the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB).
1b.Approach (from AD-416):
ARS will acquire the basic knowledge of the identification of the BMSB pheromone. This information will be used by both to develop pheromone lures for this species. Trece, Inc. will formulate 80% of the material provided by ARS into pheromone lures at a standard loading for evaluation. These lures will be sent to ARS for evaluation. The remaining 20% will be evaluated by the commerical company and results will be returned to ARS.
The brown marmorated stink bug (BMSB) has emerged as a pest of unprecedented importance to specialty crops in the United States. Currently, BMSB is well established throughout the mid-Atlantic and has been officially detected in 40 states. BMSB is a polyphagous pest of numerous specialty crops but without a reliable and effective monitoring tool to detect presence, abundance, and seasonal activity. Therefore, we worked directly with Trece to formulate lures with the newly identified BMSB aggregation pheromone. Lures were then provided to cooperators in various states for evaluation in traps. Included in the trapping array were unbaited controls. Trials were conducted in the late-season when BMSB populations were greatest.