1a.Objectives (from AD-416):
Purpose of this is research is to evaluate the effectiveness of Monty’s Liquid products on plant growth, yield and to nutrient runoff during a crop growing season.
1b.Approach (from AD-416):
1. Conduct soil test measurements on plots designated for corn study including:
a. Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur, Sodium, Organic Matter and CEC. The base saturation percentage of the above is needed excluding Nitrogen and Organic Matter.
2. Submit to Monty’s Plant Food Company for recommendations on application concentrations and regime.
3. Establish the following treatments in a field study in 15’ x 30’ randomized block design with 4 reps of each 3 treatments (12 total plots) as listed below:
A. Farmers standard: Control area with traditional fertilizer (fertility guidelines established by University of Kentucky) being applied.
B. Control: No fertilizer added (base yield measurement)
C. Monty’s Application: Chemical fertilizer addition and Monty’s application regime to be based on the suggested concentrations from Monty’s Plant Food Company (Dennis Stephens); applications include but are not limited to:
i. Apply 64 ounces of the Monty’s liquid carbon per acre on soil at least ten days before planting seed. The plot will receive the suggested fertility from Dennis Stephens.
ii. Apply 1 gallon of the Agri-Hance S at planting.
iii. Apply 1 quart of the Monty’s Agri-Hance V at the V-3 stage.
iv. Apply 1 quart of the Monty’s Agri-Hance R at the R-3 stage.
4. Plant measurements will be taken over the course of the grow out including:
a. Monitoring growth and documenting growth characteristics at different stages
b. Compare corn nutrient uptake and grain yield, soil cores (0-15 cm and 15-30 cm), leaf and plant tissue samples
c. Whole plants will be taken during the course of the study and at completion to evaluate root mass.
5. Rain simulations will be conducted during the course of the study
a. Run-off from the rain event will be captured and evaluated for nutrients and bacteria
b. Samples will be taken from all treatments to compare run-off from each treatment
6. Sampling schedule may vary depending on environmental conditions, rainfall simulation and needs of Monty’s Plant Food Company and ARS researchers but may include: at time of application of fertility products and 3 days later; and following rain simulation and/or natural rainfall events.
This is a new project initiated in Jan 2012. A field study (corn) has been established and 2 rainfall simulations carried out per stated objectives. The first year's trial will be completed at the end of this field season.