DISCOVERY AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW PUBLIC HEALTH PESTICIDES
Project Number: 0208-32000-001-39
Specific Cooperative Agreement
Start Date: Feb 17, 2010
End Date: Sep 30, 2014
Discover, evaluate, and develop pesticides that improve protection of deployed military personnel from biting arthropods that transmit pathogens.
1) Identify priority needs for new chemicals in terms of target organisms, likely application, and both environmental and occupational safety.
2) Find new physiological targets, new binding sites for known physiological targets, or other biological bases for toxicant discovery.
3) Use known toxicants, binding-site modeling, molecular modeling, plant product chemistry, or other sources of chemicals to produce likely classes of effective chemicals.
4) Synthesize or otherwise acquire small samples of chemicals to use for toxicity testing against target arthropods in the laboratory.
5) Work with partners to develop promising candidates through evaluation, formulation, registration, and marketing.