Location: Foodborne Toxin Detection and Prevention
2011 Annual Report
1. Perform ex situ VOC analysis on a large portion of selected oak tree (Quercus spp.) leaves to determine general VOC emission trends.
2. Utilize the in situ small-scale collection method (collection bag, SPME) of the USDA-ARS PMR unit to acquire VOCs from select trees identified from ex situ analysis.
3. Separate and identify collected VOCs via GC-MS analyses.
4. Develop a chemotaxonomic tree based upon trends of identified VOCs and herbivore damage.
5. Utilize electrophysiological and/or behavioral bioassays to determine kairomonal activity. Documents NFCA with UC Davis.