WHEAT LEAF RUST GENOME SEQUENCING AND COMPARATIVE RESOURCES FOR RUST FUNGI
Location: Hard Winter Wheat Genetics Research Unit
Project Number: 5430-21000-010-05
Start Date: Oct 01, 2008
End Date: Jul 31, 2013
The specific objectives of this proposal are to: (1) Sequence and assemble the complete genome of P. triticina isolate 1-1, Race 1 (BBBD), which is estimated to be between 100 - 120 Mb, using a hybrid of 454 and ABI (Sanger) Fosmid-end sequence; (2) Annotate gene structure using computational methods, 200,000 454 reads of ESTs from each of four new cDNA libraries, and other available ESTs; (3) Evaluate P. triticina polymorphism and diversity by comparing the sequenced strain with three additional isolates using Illumina/Solexa sequence; (4) Prompt public release of all reads, assemblies, annotation, and discovered polymorphisms; and (5) Develop education, training and outreach programs.
To achieve our objective we propose to:
1. Generate a whole genome shotgun assembly using an optimized combination of traditional and new sequencing technology data (Sanger and 454).
2. Annotate gene structure using computational methods, 200,000 454 reads of ESTs from each of four new cDNA libraries, and other available ESTs.
3. Evaluate the level of P. triticina DNA polymorphisms and diversity by sequencing three additional isolates of P. triticina using Illumina/Solexa sequence.
4. Prompt public release of all reads, assemblies, annotation, discovered polymorphisms, and EST alignments.
5. Develop education, training and outreach programs