SUPPORT FOR IRRI'S CEREAL SYSTEMS INITIATIVES IN SOUTH ASIA (CSISA): RICE GENETICS WORKSHOP AND MONITORING GHG IN RICE PRODUCTION AREAS
Project Number: 0210-22310-004-07
Start Date: Sep 30, 2009
End Date: May 01, 2012
To support the 6th International Rice Genetics Symposium, Manila, Philippines on 16-19 November 2009; and the project “Quantifying the Global Warming Potential Current and Future Rice-based Cropping System in South Asia”
For the project:
• Design and adaptation of a new generation of cereal-based cropping systems that are managed with conservation agriculture technologies.
• Develop an understanding of new technologies environmental impact, specifically the assessment of greenhouse gas fluxes (and overall global warming potential) in cropping systems with different management practices (soil, nitrogen, water).
• Greenhouse gas emission will be measured during four cropping seasons at three key platform sites of CSISA using static chamber techniques and modeling.
For the symposium:
• To support the travel of scientists from developing countries to participate in the symposium.
• The event will be held in conjunction with the 7th International Symposium on Rice Functional Genomics.
• It will showcase the latest developments in the field, including research on breeding, mapping genes and quantitative trait loci, identification and cloning of candidate genes for biotic and abiotic stresses, gene expression, genomic database and mutant induction for functional genomics.