Workshop Objectives and Expected Outcomes
Assessment and Customer/Stakeholder Workshop
ARS National Program 301
Plant, Microbial, & Insect Genetic Resources, Genomics & Genetic Improvement
BWI Airport Marriott Hotel, Baltimore, Maryland
October 31-November 2, 2005
Objectives of the Workshop:
(1) Develop an understanding of the relevance, quality, and overall current or projected impact of research performed by National Program 301 during the past 5 years. [all participants]
(2) Identify strengths and weaknesses of the National Program structure and activities, and develop suggestions for improvement for the next 5 years. [peers, customers, stakeholders, partners].
(3) Identify research needs of customers, stakeholders, and partners, and describe some emerging opportunities for research progress for the next 5 years. [peers, customers, stakeholders, partners].
(4) Begin developing an action plan by which ARS will incorporate the evaluations of the first program cycle and the perceived customer/stakeholder needs into the NP301 programmatic structure for the next 5 years. [ARS participants]
Expected Outcomes (by the end of the workshop):
(1) An understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of ARS’ Plant, Microbial, & Insect Genetic Resources, Genomics & Genetic Improvement program during the past 5 years.
(2) An awareness of the current needs of ARS customers, stakeholders, and partners.
(3) Identification of changes to the research program that will strengthen it, enable it to address high-priority needs, and enhance its impact on agriculture during the next 5 years.
(4) Appointment of a team of ARS scientists to draft the next Action Plan for NP301 Plant, Microbial, and Insect Genetic Resources, Genomics, and Genetic Improvement.