Grape Genetics Research Unit
Plant Genetic Resources Unit
630 W. North St., Geneva, NY 14456
315 787 2482 (office)
315 787 2339 (fax)
I am a Supervisory Research Geneticist and Research Leader with the USDA-ARS Grape Genetics Research and Plant Genetic Resources Units in Geneva, NY. The overall objective of my research is to provide basic knowledge and improved germplasm that will contribute to the improvement of productivity and fruit quality of grapes. Specific objectives include: 1) genetic characterization and improvement of grapevine plant architecture that will increase grape productivity and fruit quality and enhance the efficiency of mechanical pruning and harvest in grape production; 2) genetic characterization and improvement of grape fruit traits, phytochemicals in particular, for uncovering and promoting the health benefits of grapes and grape products; and 3) development of innovative genetic solutions for resistance to root-knot nematodes in grape rootstocks.
· B.S. 1982. Agronomy, Jiangsu Agricultural College, China
· M.S. 1985. Plant Genetics and Breeding, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China
· Ph.D. 1991. Genetics, University of California, Davis
· Supervisory Research Geneticist/Research Leader, 2007-Present, USDA, ARS, Geneva, NY
· Postdoctoral Research Associate, 1991-1995, Department of Agronomy, University of California, Davis, CA
· Scientist/Senior Research Scientist, 1995-2007 , Research and Product Development, Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc., A DuPont Business, Des Moines, IA
· Zheng, P., W. Allen, K. Roesler, M. Williams, S. Zhang, J. Li, K. Glassman, J. Ranch, D.Nubel, W. Solawetz, D. Bhattramakki, V. Llaca, S. Deschamps, G.-Y. Zhong, M.Tarczynski, and B. Shen. 2008. A phenylalanine in DGAT is a key determinant of oil content and composition in maize. Nature Genetics 40(3):367-372.
· Myles, S., J.-M. Chia, B. Hurwitz, C.Simon, G.-Y. Zhong, E. Buckler, and D. Ware. 2010. Rapid genomic characterization of the genus Vitis. PLoS ONE 5(1): e8219. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0008219.
· Jittayasothorn, Y., Y. Yang, S. Chen, X. Wang, and G.-Y. Zhong. 2011. Influences of Agrobacterium rhizogenes strains, plant genotypes, and tissue types on the induction of transgenic hairy roots in Vitis species. Vitis 50 (3) 107-114.
· Liang, Z., C.L. Owens, G.-Y. Zhong, and L. Cheng. 2011. Polyphenolic profiles detected in the ripe berries of Vitis vinifera germplasm. Journal of Food Biochemistry 129:940-950.
· Liang, Z., M. Sang, A. Ma, S. Zhao, G.-Y. Zhong and S. Li. 2011. Inheritance of sugar and acid contents in the ripe berries of a tetraploid x diploid grape cross population. Euphytica 182:251– 259.
· Liang, Z., Y. Yang, L. Cheng, and G.-Y. Zhong. 2012. Polyphenolic composition and content in the ripe berries of wild Vitis species. Journal of Food Biochemistry 132:730-738.
· Liang, Z., Y. Yang, L. Cheng, and G.-Y. Zhong. 2012. Characterization of polyphenolic metabolites in the seeds of Vitis germplasm. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 60(5):1291-9.
· Zhong, G.-Y., and Y. Yang. 2012. Characterization of grape Gibberellin Insensitive1 mutant alleles in transgenic Arabidopsis. Transgenic Research, DOI: 10.1007/s11248-011-9565-z
· Liang, Z., M. Sang, A. Ma, S. Zhao, G.-Y. Zhong, and S. Li. 2012. Inheritance of anthocyanin contents in the ripe berries of a tetraploid x diploid grape cross population. DOI: 10.1007/s10681-011-0594-8
· James Wayne Bing, Robert F. Cressman, Jr., Manju Gupta, Salim M. Hakimi, David Hondred, Todd L. Krone, Mary Hartnett Locke, Abigail K. Luckring, Sandra E. Meyer, Daniel Moellenbeck, Kenneth Edwin Narva. Paul D. Olson, Craig D. Sanders, Jimei Wang, Jian Zhang, Gan-Yuan Zhong. Corn event DAS-59122-7 and methods for detection thereof. US Patent No. 7323556, Issued on January 29, 2008.
· William B. Allen, Bo Shen, Mitchell C. Tarczynski, Mark E. Williams, Peizhong Zheng, Gan-Yuan Zhong. Compositions related to the quantitative trait locus 6 (QTL6) in maize and methods of use. US Patent No. 7812216 B2.Issued on October 12, 2010.
· Timothy K. Chicoine, Jeffery W. Derry, Christine B. Hazel, Donglong Liu, Billy Fred McCutchen, Wayne J. Mehre, Kenneth A. Peeples, David W. Saunders, Gan-Yuan Zhong. Maize event DP- 098140-6 and compositions and methods for the identification and/or detection thereof. US Patent No. 7928296 B2. Issued on April 19, 2011.
· William B. Allen, Bo Shen, Mitchell C. Tarczynski, Mark E. Williams, Peizhong Zheng, Gan-Yuan Zhong. Identifying a high oil phenotype in maize by detecting a marker locus genetically linked with a QTL6 region. US Patent No: 7981677 B2. Issued on July 19, 2011.
· William B. Allen, Bo Shen, Mitchell C. Tarczynski, Mark E. Williams, Peizhong Zheng, Gan-Yuan Zhong. Method of identifying maize plants having increased oil content using quantitative trait locus 6 (QTL6). US Patent No. 8084208 B2. Issued on December 27, 2011.