1997 National Institutes of Health, NIAAA, Bethesda, MD Fellow Population & Stat Genetics
1993 North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC Ph.D. Plant Breeding & Genetics
1983 Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina, Lima, Peru M.S. Plant Breeding & Statistics
1981 Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina, Lima, Peru B.S. Agronomy
2005- U.S. Department of Agriculture, ARS, NCCCWA Computational Biologist
2000-2004 Penn State University, State College, PA Assist. Prof. Genomics & Bioinf
1997-2000 National Institutes of Health, NIAAA, Bethesda, MD Senior Res. Fellow Statist Genetics
1995-1997 U.S. Department of Agriculture, ARS, ADOL Research Geneticist
1993-1994 University of Florida, IFAS, GCREC, Bradenton, FL Postdoctoral Fellow
1990-1993 North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC Research Assistant
1983-1990 International Potato Center, Lima, Peru Associate Geneticist
HONORS & AWARDS
2010 Award for Outstanding Performance, USDA-ARS, NCCCWA
2010 Service Award for Reviews, ADSA Board of Directors and Editors, Journal of Dairy Science
2009 Award for Outstanding Performance, USDA-ARS, NCCCWA
2008 Service award for statistical genetics & functional genomics data analysis, USDA-ARS, NCCCWA
2007 Award for Outstanding Performance, USDA-ARS, NCCCWA
2006 Service award for statistical genetics & functional genomics data analysis, USDA-ARS, NCCCWA
2005 Service award for statistical genetics & functional genomics data analysis, USDA-ARS, NCCCWA
1996 Award for Outstanding Res QTL mapping for Marek’s disease, USDA-ARS, ADOL, E. Lansing, MI
1993 Excellence in Doctoral Research, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
1991 Honor Society Pi Alpha XI, Iota Chapter, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
1980 First Class Honors, B.S. Agronomy, Universidad Nacional Agraria, Lima, Peru
· Development of strategies & implementation of marker-assisted and genome-enabled selection in
· Design & simulation-based power analysis of QTL mapping and GWAS for complex traits in
· Genome-wide linkage & association scan for QTL affecting complex traits in rainbow trout
· Transcriptome profiling using microarray and RNA-seq data and statistical analysis of gene
· Bayesian methods of complex segregation analysis of complex traits in rainbow trout populations.
· Genetic characterization and phylogenomics of rainbow trout populations using molecular and
· Statistical genetics & functional genomics data analysis for a rainbow trout molecular breeding program. National Center for Cool & Cold Water Aquaculture, ARS, USDA. Kearneysville, WV, 2005- to present.
· Genetic basis of susceptibility to clinical mastitis in dairy cattle. Genomics & Bioinformatics
Laboratory, Dept. D, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2000-2004.
· Genetic basis of vulnerability to alcoholism and related psychiatric disorders in Finnish families,
Section on Population Genetics & Linkage, Laboratory of Neurogenetics, NIAAA, NIH, Bethesda, MD,
· Genetic mapping of QTL affecting susceptibility to Marek’s disease in chickens, Avian Disease &
Oncology Laboratory, ARS, USDA, East Lansing, MI, 1995-1997.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS (Last 5 years)
Rexroad III, CE, RL Vallejo, S Liu, Y Palti and GM Weber. 2012. QTL affecting stress response to
crowding in a rainbow trout broodstock population. BMC Genetics 13: 97.
Salem, M, RL Vallejo,TD Leeds, Y Palti, S Liu, A Sabbagh, CE Rexroad III, J Yao. 2012. RNA-Seq
Identifies SNP Markers for Growth Traits in Rainbow Trout. PLoS ONE 7(5): e36264.
Overturf, K, RL Vallejo, Y Palti, FT Barrows, JE Parsons. 2012. Microarray analysis of differential
utilization of plant-based diets by rainbow trout. Aquacult. Int. 20:213–232.
Palti, Y, C Genet, MC Luo, A Charlet, G Gao, Y Hu, C Castaño-Sánchez, K Tabet-Canale, F Krieg,
J Yao, RL Vallejo and CE Rexroad III. 2011. A first generation integrated map of the rainbow trout
genome. BMC Genomics 12: 180.
Vallejo, RL, GD Wiens, CE Rexroad III, TJ Welch, JP Evenhuis, TD Leeds, LLG Janss, and Y Palti. 2010
Evidence of major genes affecting resistance to bacterial cold water disease in rainbow trout using
Bayesian methods of segregation analysis. J. Animal Sci. 88: 3814-3832.
Wiens, GD and RL Vallejo. 2010. Temporal and pathogen-load dependent changes in rainbow
trout(Oncorhynchus mykiss) immune response traits following challenge with biotype 2 Yersinia
ruckeri. Fish & Shellfish Immunology 29: 639-647.
Leeds, TD, JT Silverstein, GM Weber, RL Vallejo, Y Palti, CE Rexroad III, J Evenhuis, S Hadidi,
TJ Welch, and GDWiens. 2010. Response to selection for bacterial cold water disease resistance in
rainbow trout. J. Animal Sci. 88: 1936-1946.
Vallejo, RL, CE Rexroad III, JT Silverstein, LLG Janss and GM Weber. 2009. Evidence of major
genes affecting stress response in rainbow trout using Bayesian methods of complex
segregation analysis. J. Animal Sci. 87: 3490-3505.
Rexroad III, CE and RL Vallejo. 2009. Estimates of Linkage Disequilibrium and Effective Population
Size in Rainbow Trout. BMC Genetics 10: 83.
Sanchez, CC, TPL Smith, RT Wiedmann, RL Vallejo, M Salem, J Yao and CE Rexroad III. 2009. Single
Nucleotide Polymorphism discovery in Rainbow Trout by deep sequencing of a reduced representation
library. BMC Genomics 10: 559.
Palti, Y, MC Luo, Y Hu, C Genet, FM You, RL Vallejo, GH Thorgaard, PA Wheeler and CE Rexroad III.
2009. A first generation BAC-based physical map of the rainbow trout genome. BMC Genomics
Rexroad III, C E, Y Palti, SA Gahr and R L Vallejo. 2008. A second generation genetic map for rainbow
trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). BMC Genetics 9: 74.
Weber, GM, RL Vallejo, SE Lankford, JT Silverstein, and TJ Welch. 2008. Cortisol Response to a
Crowding Stress: Heritability and Association with Disease Resistance to Yersinia ruckeri in
Rainbow Trout. North Amer. J. of Aquaculture 70: 425-433.
Silverstein, JT, RL Vallejo, Y Palti, TD Leeds, CE Rexroad III, TJ Welch, GD Wiens and V Ducrocq. 2008.
Rainbow trout resistance to bacterial cold-water disease is moderately heritable and is not adversely
correlated with growth. J. Animal Sci. 87: 860-867.
Gahr, SA, RL Vallejo, GM Weber, BS Shepherd, JT Silverstein and CE Rexroad III, 2008. Effects of
short-term growth hormone treatment on liver and muscle transcriptomes in rainbow trout
(Oncorhynchus mykiss). Physiol Genomics 32: 380-392.
Johnson, NA, RL Vallejo, JT Silverstein, TJ Welch, GD Wiens, EM Hallerman and Y Palti, 2008.
Suggestive Association of Major Histocompatibility IB Genetic Markers with Resistance to Bacterial
Cold Water Disease in Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Marine Biotechnology 10: 429-437.
Johnson, NA, CE Rexroad III, EM Hallerman, RL Vallejo and Y Palti, 2007. Development and evaluation
of a new microsatellite multiplex system for parental allocation and management of rainbow
trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) broodstocks. Aquaculture 266: 53–62.
Rexroad III CE, RL Vallejo, I Coulibaly, C Couch, A Garber, M Westerman and C Sullivan, 2006.
Identification and characterization of microsatellites for striped bass from repeat-enriched
libraries. Conservation Genetics 7: 971–982.
SCIENTIFIC & ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
· Associate Editor for journals: BMC Genetics; Genetics Selection Evolution
· Editorial Board Member for journals: Frontiers in Genetics; Journal of Dairy Science
· Ad Hoc Reviewer for journals: Genetics; Animal Genetics; Journal of Animal Breeding & Genetics;
Journal of Animal Science; Marine Biotechnology ; Aquaculture; Israeli Journal of Aquaculture
· Grant Panel Reviewer: USDA-NRICGP; USDA-NIFA-AFRI
· Ad hoc Grant Reviewer: NSF; Israel Science Foundation; US-Israel Binational Agric. Res. & Develop.
· Adjunct Professor, Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina, Depart. of Aquaculture & Fisheries, Lima,
Peru (2009- )
· Faculty Member Penn State University (2000-2004): Center for Genome Studies; Inter-College
Graduate Degree Program in Genetics; Graduate Degree Program in Animal Science
Animal ScienceAmerican Association for the Advancement of Science, 1997 -
Genetics Society of America, 1995 -