||Rajat Bindlish, Ph.D|
USDA-ARS Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory
104 Bldg. 007, BARC-West
Beltsville, MD 20705 USA
Voice: (301) 504-5363
Fax: (301) 504-8931
- Microwave remote sensing of soil moisture
- Calibration/validation of soil moisture
- Application of remotely sensed soil moisture in hydrology
- 2000: Ph.D., Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- 1996: M.S., Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- 1993: Bachelor of Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
- 2000 - Present: Scientist (SSAI) working at U.S. Department of Agriculture, ARS, Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Beltsville, MD.
- 1994 - 2000: Graduate Research Assistant, Pennsylvania State University, College Station, PA.
- 05/98 - 09/98: Visiting Research Scientist at USDA, ARS, HRSL, Beltsville, MD.
- 05/96 - 09/96: Visiting Research Scientist at NASA, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD.
- 07/93 - 05/94: Research Assistant, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India.
- 05/92 - 08/92: Internship, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India.
Selected Publications: (please contact the author to determine reprint availability)
(view author's publications/interpretive summaries/technical abstracts since 1999)
- Bindlish, Rajat and A.P. Barros, 2000. Multi-frequency soil moisture inversion from SAR measurements using IEM. Remote Sensing of Environment, 71 (1), pp. 67-88.
- Bindlish, Rajat, and A.P. Barros, 2001. Parameterization of vegetation backscatter in radar-based soil moisture estimation. Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 76, 130-137.
- Bindlish, Rajat, W.P. Kustas, A.N. French, G.R. Diak, and J.R. Mecikalski, 2001. Influence of near-surface soil moisture on regional scale heat fluxes: Model results using microwave remote sensing data from SGP97. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens., Vol. 39, No. 8, 1719-1728.
- Bindlish, Rajat, and A.P. Barros, 2002. Sub-pixel variability of remotely sensed soil moisture: An intercomparison study of SAR and ESTAR. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens., Vol. 40, No. 2, 326-337.
- Bindlish, Rajat, T.J. Jackson, E.F. Wood, H. Gao, P. Starks, D. Bosch, and V. Lakshmi, 2003. Soil moisture estimates from TRMM Microwave Imager observations over the Southern United States. Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 85, 507-515.
- Kustas, W.P., R. Bindlish, A.N. French, and T.J. Schmugge, 2003. Comparison of energy balance modeling schemes using microwave derived soil moisture and radiometric surface temperature. Water Resour. Res., Vol. 39 No. 2, 10.1029/2002WR001361.
- Crow, W.T., Rajat Bindlish and T.J. Jackson, 2005. The added value of spaceborne passive microwave soil moisture retrievals for forecasting rainfall-runoff partitioning. Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 32, L18401, doi:10.1029/2005GL023543.
- Cosh, M.H., T.J. Jackson, Rajat Bindlish, J.S. Famiglietti and D. Ryu, 2005. Calibration of an impedence probe for estimation of surface soil water content over large regions. Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 311, pp. 49-58.
- Jun Wen, Thomas J. Jackson, Rajat Bindlish, Ann Y. Hsu and Z. Bob Su, 2005. Retrieval of Soil Moisture and Vegetation Water Content Using SSM/I Data Over a Corn and Soybean Region. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 6 (6), pp. 854-863.
- Jackson, T. J., R. Bindlish, A. J. Gasiewski, B. Stankov, M. Klein, E. G. Njoku, D. Bosch, T. Coleman, C. Laymon, and P. Starks, 2005. Polarimetric Scanning Radiometer C and X Band Microwave Observations during SMEX03. IEEE Transactions in Geosciences and Remote Sensing, 43 (11), pp. 2418-2429.
- Bindlish, Rajat, Thomas J. Jackson, Albin J. Gasiewski, Marian Klein and Eni G. Njoku, 2006. Soil Moisture Mapping and AMSR-E Validation using the PSR in SMEX02. Remote Sensing of Environment, 103 (2), pp. 127-139.
- Ryu, D., Jackson, T.J., Bindlish, R., Le Vine, D.M., 2007. L-band microwave observations over land surface using a two-dimensional synthetic aperture radiometer. Geophysical Research Letters, 34 (14), L14401.
- Narvekar, P.S., Jackson, T.J., Bindlish, R., Li, L., Heygster, G., Gaiser, P., 2007. Observations of land surface passive polarimetry with the WindSat instrument. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 45 (7), pp. 2019-2028.
- Bindlish, R., T.J. Jackson, A. Gasiewski, B. Stankov, M. Klein, M.H. Cosh, I. Mladenova, C. Watts, E. Vivoni, V. Lakshmi, J. Bolten, T. Keefer, 2008. Aircraft based soil moisture retrievals under mixed vegetation and topographic conditions. Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 112 (2), pp. 375-390.
- Crow, W.T., G. Huffman, R. Bindlish, T.J. Jackson, 2009. Improving satellite-based rainfall accumulation estimates using spaceborne surface soil moisture retrievals. Journal of Hydrometeorology, Vol 10 (1), pp. 199-212.
- Bindlish, R., Crow, W.T., Jackson, T.J., 2009. Potential role of passive microwave remote sensing in improving flood forecasts. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol 6, 112-116.
- Bindlish, R., Jackson, T.J., Sun, R., Cosh, M.H., Yueh, S., Dinardo, S., 2009. Combined Passive Active Microwave observations of Soil Moisture during CLASIC. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters. Volume 6, Issue 4, Page(s): 644 ? 648.
- Narvekar, P.S., Heygster, G., Jackson, T.J., Bindlish, R., Macelloni, G., Notholt, J., 2010. Passive Polarimetric Microwave Signatures Observed Over Antarctica. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 48 (3), pp. 1059-1075.
- Jackson, T.J., M.H. Cosh, R. Bindlish, P.J. Starks, D.D. Bosch, M.S. Seyfried, D.C. Goodrich, and M.S. Moran, 2010, "Validation of Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer soil moisture products", IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, in press.