Grape Genetics Research Unit
630 W. North St., Geneva, NY 14456
315 787 2442 (office)
315 787 2483 (fax)
My research program addresses critical needs for sustainable management of grapevine fungal and oomycete diseases. Our collaborative research aims to develop new grape varieties that are healthy, delicious, and disease resistant, exemplified by the VitisGen project that I co-lead.
In the process, we are analyzing billions of data points to better understand the biology of host and pathogen co-evolution and how their DNA sequences determine which will prevail: the grapevine or the fungus. This basic scientific research using cutting-edge genomic tools enhances traditional breeding approaches, as we develop eco-friendly disease resistance that will last for future generations.
· B.S. Kansas State University, 1997, Biochemistry, Summa cum Laude
· Ph.D. Cornell University, 2003, Plant Pathology
· Mahanil, S., Ramming, D.W., Cadle-Davidson, M., Owens, C.L., Garris, A., Myles, S., Cadle-Davidson, L. 2012. Development of marker sets useful in the early selection of Ren4 powdery mildew resistance and seedlessness for table and raisin grape breeding. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 124:23–33.
· Ramming, D.W., Gabler, F., Smilanick, J., Cadle-Davidson, M., Barba, P., Mahanil, S., Frenkel, O., Milgroom, M.G., and Cadle-Davidson, L. 2012. Identification of race-specific resistance in North American Vitis species limiting Erysiphe necator hyphal growth. Phytopathology 102:83-93.
· Gadoury, D.M., Cadle-Davidson, L., Wilcox, W.F., Dry, I.B., Seem, R.C., and Milgroom, M.G. 2012. Grapevine powdery mildew (Erysiphe necator): A fascinating system for the study of the biology, ecology, and epidemiology of an obligate biotroph. Molecular Plant Pathology 13:1-16.
· Ramming, D.W., Gabler, F., Smilanick, J., Cadle-Davidson, M., Barba, P., Mahanil, S., Cadle-Davidson, L. 2011. A single dominant locus Ren4 confers non-race-specific penetration resistance to grapevine powdery mildew. Phytopathology 101: 502-508.
· Wakefield, L., Gadoury, D.M., Seem, R.C., Milgroom, M.G., Sun, Q., and Cadle-Davidson, L. 2011. Differential gene expression during conidiation in the grape powdery mildew fungus, Erysiphe necator. Phytopathology 101:839-846.
· Cadle-Davidson, L., Chicoine, D.R., and Consolie, N.C. 2011. Variation within and between Vitis species for foliar resistance to the powdery mildew pathogen Erysiphe necator. Plant Disease 95:202-211.
· Spanu, P.D. et al. 2010. Genome expansion and gene loss in powdery mildew fungi reveal functional tradeoffs in extreme parasitism. Science 330:1543-1546.