USDA, ARS, NEA, BARC, EMFSL
10300 Baltimore Ave.
Building 303 BARC-East, Room 001A
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
phone: 301.504.8450 ext 245
Hyperspectral and multispectral imaging technologies to assess safety and quality of agricultural produce and animal carcasses. Development of rapid on-line inspection systems and portable devices using multispectral laser-induced fluorescence and multispectral reflectance imaging technologies.
Publications and Patents (2015)
Click here to see selected publications by Moon Kim listed by publication year, 2000-2014. Full-text reprints for some can be downloaded in PDF format.
A list of publications drawn from the ARS database for Moon Kim is also available, with access to an abstract/summary for each publication.
- Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Bannon, D. Method of determining histamine concentration in fish. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. September 2013. USPTO Notice of allowance, July 10, 2015.
- Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Cho, B.K., and Lee, K. Single-camera multi-mirror imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. US Patent # 8,988,523 B1. USPTO, March 24, 2015.
- Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Kim, M.S., Chan, D.E., and Yang, C. Method and system for wholesomeness inspection of freshly slaughtered chickens on a processing line. US Patent # 8,625,856. USPTO, January 7, 2014.
- Chao, K., Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, Tuschel, D., Olkhovyk, O, and Liu, Y. Systems and Methods for Detecting Contaminants in a Sample. US Patent #, 8,467,052. USPTO, June 18, 2013.
- Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A., Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Senecal, A., Marek, P. Hand-held inspection tool and method. US Patent #8,310,544 B2. USPTO, Nov 7, 2012.
- Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Kim, M.S., Chan, D.E., and Yang, C. Method and system for wholesomeness inspection of freshly slaughtered chickens on a processing line. US Patent # 8,126,213. USPTO, Feb. 28, 2012.
- Kim, M.S., Chen, Y., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M. Simultaneous acquisition of fluorescence and reflectance imaging techniques with a single imaging device for multitask inspection. US Patent # 7,787,111, USPTO. Aug. 31, 2010.
- Lefcourt, A.M., Kim, M.S., and Chen, Y.R. Use of Nanosecond Scale, Time-Resolved, Imaging to Differentiate Contemporaneous Fluorescence Responses For Multiple Substances. US Patent, #7,547,508. USPTO. June 16, 2009.
- Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A.M., and Chen, Y.R. Method to detect exposed bone fragments during processing of meat or fish. US Patent #7,460,227, USPTO. Dec. 2, 2008.
- (Pending) Schmidt, W.F., Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Shelton, D.R. Variable temperature thermodynamic Raman spectroscopy method and apparatus. USPTO, Provisional Patent application submitted. January 2015.
- (Pending) Chao, K., Kim, M.S., and Qin, J. Line-scan Raman imaging method and apparatus for rapid evaluation of large samples. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted October 2013.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Lefcourt, A., Lee, K., Kang, S., and Chan, D. Single-camera angled conveyance imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. March 2013.
2015 Publications (peer-reviewed)
- Baek, I., Kim, M.S., Lee, H.S., Lee, W.H., and Cho, B. Optimal fluorescence waveband determination for detecting defect cherry tomatoes using fluorescence excitation-emission matrix. Sensors, 14(11):21483-21496. 2014.
- Beck, E.A., Lefcourt, A., Lo, Y.M., and Kim, M.S.. Use of a portable fluorescence imaging device to facilitate cleaning of deli slicers. Food Control, 51:256-262. 2015.
- Everard, C., Kim, M.S. , Cho, H.J., and O’Donnell, C. Hyperspectral fluorescence imaging using violet LEDs as excitation sources for fecal matter contaminate identification on spinach leaves. J. Food Measure. & Characterization. In Press (Accepted Aug. 31). 2015.
- Everard, C., Lee, H.Y., and Kim, M.S.. Assessment of a handheld fluorescence imaging device as an aid for detection of food residues on processing surfaces. Food Control, 59:243-249. 2016.
- Garrido-Novell, C., Pérez-Marín, D., Guerrero-Ginel, J., Kim, M.S., and Garrido-Varo, A. Quantification and spatial characterization of moisture and NaCl content of Iberian dry-cured ham slices using NIR hyperspectral imaging. J. Food Eng., 153:117-123. 2015.
- Kandpal, L., Lee, S.D., Kim, M.S., Bae, H., and Cho, B. Short wave infrared (SW-IR) hyperspectral imaging technique for examination of aflatoxin B_1 on corn kernels. Food Control, 51:171-176. 2015.
- Lee, H., Park, S.H., Noh, S.A., Lim, J.K. and Kim, M.S. Development of a portable 3CCD camera system for multispectral imaging of biological samples. Sensors, 14(11):20262-20273. 2014.
- Lefcourt, A., Beck, E.A., Lo, Y.M., and Kim, M.S.. Fluorescence spectra of deli commodities on food contact surface materials. J. of Biosystems Eng., 40(2):145-152. 2015.
- Mo, C., Kim, M.S., Lim, J., Cho, B., Lee, K., and Kim, G. Multispectral fluorescence imaging technique for discrimination of cucumber (Cucumis Sativus) seed viability. Trans. ASABE, 58(4): 959-968. 2015.
- Schmidt, W.F., Broadhurst, C.L., Qin, J., Lee, H., Nguyen, J.K., Chao, K., Shelton, D.R., and Kim, M.S. Continuous Temperature Dependent Raman Spectroscopy of Melamine and Structural Analogs and Detection in Milk Powder. Applied Spectroscopy, 69(3):398-406. 2015.
- Schmidt, W.F., Kim, M.S., Nguyen, J.K., Qin, J., Lee, H., Broadhurst, C.L., and Shelton, D.R. Continuous gradient temperature Raman Spectroscopy identifies flexible sites in proline and alanine peptides. Vibrational Spectroscopy. 80:59-65. 2015.
- Yang, C.C., Garrido-Novell., C., Pérez-Marín, D., Guerrero-Ginel, J.E., Garrido-Varo, A., Cho, H.J., and Kim, M.S. Differentiation of beef and fish meals in animal feeds using chemometric analytic models. J. of Biosystems Eng., 40(2):153-158. 2015.
Environmental Microbial and Food Safety Laboratory
Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, MD 20705
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service