USDA, ARS, BA, BARC, EMFSL
10300 Baltimore Ave.
Building 303 BARC-East, Room 001A
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
phone: 301.504.8450 ext 245
Hyperspectral and multispectral imaging technologies to assess safety and quality of agricultural produce and animal carcasses. Development of rapid on-line inspection systems and portable devices using multispectral laser-induced fluorescence and multispectral reflectance imaging technologies.
Publications and Patents
Click here to see selected publications by Moon Kim listed by publication year, 2000-2014. Full-text reprints for some can be downloaded in PDF format.
A list of publications drawn from the ARS database for Moon Kim is also available, with access to an abstract/summary for each publication.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Bannon, D. Method of determining histamine concentration in fish. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. September 2013.
- (Pending) Chao, K., Kim, M.S., and Qin, J. Line-scan Raman imaging method and apparatus for rapid evaluation of large samples. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted October 2013.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Cho, B.K., and Lee, K. Single-camera multi-mirror imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. March 2013.
- (Pending) Kim, M.S., Chao, K., Lefcourt, A., Lee, K., Kang, S., and Chan, D. Single-camera angled conveyance imaging method and apparatus for whole-surface inspection of rotating objects. USPTO, Utility Patent application submitted. March 2013.
- Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Kim, M.S., Chan, E., and Yang, C. Method and system for wholesomeness inspection of freshly slaughtered chickens on a processing line. US Patent # 8,625,856. USPTO, January 7, 2014.
- Chao, K., Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, Tuschel, D., Olkhovyk, O, and Liu, Y. Systems and Methods for Detecting Contaminants in a Sample. US Patent #, 8,467,052. USPTO, June 18, 2013.
- Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A., Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Senecal, A., Marek, P. Hand-held inspection tool and method. US Patent #8,310,544 B2. USPTO, Nov 7, 2012.
- Chao, K., Chen, Y.R., Kim, M.S., Chan, E., and Yang, C. Method and system for wholesomeness inspection of freshly slaughtered chickens on a processing line. US Patent # 8,126,213. USPTO, Feb. 28, 2012.
- Kim, M.S., Chen, Y., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M. Simultaneous acquisition of fluorescence and reflectance imaging techniques with a single imaging device for multitask inspection. US Patent # 7,787,111, USPTO. Aug. 31, 2010.
- Lefcourt, A.M., Kim, M.S., and Chen, Y.R. Use of Nanosecond Scale, Time-Resolved, Imaging to Differentiate Contemporaneous Fluorescence Responses For Multiple Substances. US Patent, #7,547,508. USPTO. June 16, 2009.
- Kim, M.S., Lefcourt, A.M., and Chen, Y.R. Method to detect exposed bone fragments during processing of meat or fish. US Patent #7,460,227, USPTO. Dec. 2, 2008.
2014 Publications (peer-reviewed)
- Chao, K., Kim, M.S., and Chan, D., Control Interface and Tracking Control System for Automated Poultry Inspection. Computers Standards and Interfaces, 36 (2): 271-277. 2014. doi:10.1016/j.csi.2011.03.006
- Everard, C., Kim, M.S., Lee, H., and O’Donnell, C. Hyperspectral fluorescence imaging coupled with multivariate image analysis techniques for detection of fecal contamination on spinach leaves. Food and Bioprocess Technology, in press. 2014.
- Lee, H.Y., Yang, C.C., Kim, M.S., Lim, J., Cho, B., Chao, K., and Lefcourt, A.M., and Everard, C. A simple multispectral imaging algorithm for detection of defects on Red Delicious apples. J. of Biosystems Engineering, 39(2):142-149. 2014. doi:10.5307/JBE.2014.39.2.142
- Lee, W.H., Kim, M.S., Lee, H., Delwiche, S., Bae, H., Kim, D.Y., and Cho, B. Hyperspectral near-infrared imaging for the detection of physical damages of pear. J. Food Engineering, 130:1-7. 2014. doi:10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2013.12.032
- Mo, C., Kim, G., Lee, K., Kim, M.S., Cho, B., Lim, J., and Kang, S. Non-destructive quality evaluation of pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) seeds using LED-induced hyperspectral reflectance imaging, Sensors, 14: 7489-7504. 2014. doi:10.3390/s140407489
- Qin, J., Chao, K., and Kim, M.S. A line-scan hyperspectral system for high-throughput Raman chemical imaging. Applied Spectroscopy. 68 (6): 692-695. 2014. abstract
- Qin, J., Chao, K., Kim, M.S., Lee, H.Y., and Peng, Y. Development of a Raman chemical imaging detection method for authenticating skim milk powder. J. Food Measurement and Characterization, 8 (2): 122-131. 2014. doi:10.1007/s11694-014-9172-9
- Schmidt, W.F., Hapeman, C. J., McConnell, L. L., Mookherji, S., Nguyen, J.K., Qin, J., Lee, H., Chao, K., and Kim, M.S. Temperature-dependent Raman spectroscopic evidence of and molecular mechanism for irreversible isomerization of β-endosulfan to α-endosulfan. J. Ag. Food Chem., 62:2023-2030. 2014. doi:10.1021/jf404404w
- Schmidt, W.F., Broadhurst, C.L., Qin, J., Lee, H., Nguyen, J.K., Chao, K., Shelton, D.R., and Kim, M.S. Temperature dependent Raman spectroscopy of melamine and structural analogs in milk powder. Applied Spectroscopy, in press. 2014.
- Shilts, P., Motabar, P., Lefcourt, A.M., Kim, M.S., and Tasch, U. Homogenization optics to improve detectability of a fluorescence response to a single laser pulse: Detection of feces on apples. Trans. ASABE 57(2): 615-622. 2014. doi:10.13031/trans.57.10443
USDA-ARS Environmental Microbial and Food Safety Laboratory
Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, MD 20705
Building 173 BARC-East, Phone 301.504.5607