1 - Introduction
3 - Curriculum Vitae
Richard W. Mankin - - Curriculum Vitae
Research Entomologist, US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Center for Medical, Agricultural, and Veterinary Entomology (CMAVE). Responsible for developing detection and population monitoring technologies and strategies for control of hidden insect pests.
1980-present Research Entomologist, USDA ARS CMAVE,
1979-1980 Research Associate,
Honors and Awards:
Awarded sabbatical at the
Association of Operative Millers Certificate of Appreciation for support of the programs of the Food Protection Committee, 2001.
USDA Certificates of Merit:
For Contributions to a Field Test of the ALFID Insect Detection System, 1996
For Outstanding Assistance Given to CMAVE in Conversion to a New Server, 2002
USDA-APHIS Certificate of Appreciation for support of the Coconut Rhinoceros Beetle Incident Command and for assistance in developing acoustic detection methods for identifying Oryctes rhinoceros, 2008
South Atlantic Area EEO/CR Award, “For his leadership in both influencing policies concerning disabilities and for assisting disabled individuals; he has shared his talents and compassion at many levels,” 2008.
1) ARS funds to develop a microcomputer-based data acquisition and analysis system for insect olfactory neurons, 1982, $39,000 (group award)
2) Awards from National and Area funds to support a Postdoctoral Research Associateship, 1983-84, $70,000 (group award).
3) Federal Grain Inspection Service award to develop an acoustical insect detection and analysis system to count the number of insects in grain samples, 1990, $30,000 (group award).
5) Citrus Production Research Marketing Order, Agreement No. 58-6615-8-020, “Listening to the Larvae: Acoustic Detection of Diaprepes abbreviatus,” 1998, $22,620.
6) Horticultural Research Institute, for “Development of an Acoustic System for Detection of Black Vine Weevil in Commercial Ornamental Nurseries,” 1999, $5,000.
8) Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund, project # IS-3137-99, “Male Song as a Tool for Trapping Female Fruit Flies,” 1999, $100,000.
11) Macquarie University, NSW, Sydney Australia, Visiting Research Scholarship to conduct comparative research on medfly and Queensland fruit fly acoustic courtship, 2003, $6,400, and 2006, $6,400.
14) BSES, LTD, MacKay
16) Western IPM Center, UC-Davis, Special Issues grant to conduct research on acoustic detection of coconut rhinoceros beetles in Guam, 2008, $4,500.
17) Cooperator with Rob Jones and
18) Contractor on SBIR grant to Sameer Singhal, CFD Research Corp,
19) Saudi Arabia Basic Industries,
Refereed Publications (Last 4 Years):
Note: These can be viewed at http://www.ars.usda.gov/rmankin.
Mankin, R. W., Mizrach, A., Hetzroni, A., Levsky, S., Nakache, Y., and Soroker, V. Temporal and spectral features of sounds of wood-boring beetle larvae: identifiable patterns of activity enable improved discrimination from background noise.
Mankin, R. W., Smith, M. T., Tropp, J. M., Atkinson, E. B., and Jong, D. Y. Detection of Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) larvae in different host trees and tissues by automated analyses of sound-impulse frequency and temporal patterns. J. Econ. Entomol. 101: 838-849. 2008.
Wenninger, E. J., Hall, D. G., and Mankin, R. W. Vibrational communication between the sexes in Diaphorina citri (Hemiptera: Psyllidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 102: 547-555. 2009.
Mankin, R. W., Moore, A., Samson, P. R., and
Mankin R. W., Samson, P. R., and
Lampson, B., Han, Y., Khalilian, A., Greene, J., Mankin, R. W., and Foreman, E. Characterization of substrate-borne vibrational signals of Euschistus servus (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae). Am. J. Agric. Biol. Sci. 5: 32-36. 2010.
Mankin, R. W., and Moore, A. Acoustic detection of Oryctes rhinoceros (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) and Nasutitermes luzonicus (Isoptera: Termitidae) in palm trees of urban
Mankin, R. W., Hodges, R. D., Nagle, H. T., Schal, C.,
Ulyshen, M. D., Mankin, R. W., Chen, Y, Duan, J. J. Poland, T. M., and Bauer, L. S. Role of emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) larval vibrations in host-quality assessment by Tetrastichus planipennisi (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 104: 81-86. 2011.
Mankin, R. W., Hagstrum, D. W., Smith, M. T., Roda, A. L., and Kairo, M. T. K. Perspective and promise: a century of insect acoustic detection and monitoring. Amer. Entomol. 57: 30-44. 2011.
Sanders, W. R., Liburd, O. E., Mankin, R. W., Meyer, W. L., and Stelinski, L. L. Applications and mechanisms of wax-based semiochemical dispenser technology for disruption of grape root borer mating. J. Econ. Entomol. (In Press) 2011.
Sanders, W. R., Mankin, R. W., Liburd, O. E., and Stelinski, L. L. Acoustic detection of arthropod infestation of grape roots: Scouting for grape root borer (Lepidoptera: Sesiidae).
Nonrefereed Publications-last 4 years
Epsky, N. E., Morrill, W. L., and Mankin, R. W. Traps for capturing insects, pp. 3387-3901 in J. L. Capinera (ed.) Encyclopedia of Entomology, 2nd Edition Volume 4, Springer, NY, NY. . 2008 (Book Chapter)
Mankin, R. W., Johnson, S. N., Grinev, D. V., and Gregory, P. J. Chapter 2: New experimental techniques for studying root herbivores., pp 20-32 in S. N. Johnson and P. J. Murray (Eds.), Root feeders, an ecosystem perspective, CABI,
Egan, M., and Mankin, R. W. Female Anastrepha suspensa (Loew) response to the vibration component of male wing-fanning signals, pp. 36-41 in Proc. 8th Int. Symposium on Fruit Flies of Economic Importance, Sept. 26-Oct. 1, 2010, Valencia, Spain. (Refereed Proceedings)
|<< Previous 1  Next >>|